Temple Baptist Church - 8-9-2015
A. We are in a literal war as we try to carry the gospel to a dying world. In our verses for tonight, we find Satan hindering the great Apostle Paul as he traveled and preached the gospel. In Genesis 3, we find Satan, in the form of the serpent, withstanding the Word of God. Why does God allow this? That is one of the questions that we leave in the hands of an Almighty God.
B. Satan hindered Adam and Eve, Job, King David, and numerous others in the Bible. One song says, “It’s a battlefield, brother, not a recreation room; it’s a fight and not a game.” As we try to serve the Lord here at Temple, Satan has time and time again caused division. He is good at what he does because he knows human nature and has had much time to practice his art.
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
1 Timothy 1:18 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
C. I believe that it was Dr. Bob Jones, Sr. who said, “The door of opportunity rests upon the hinges of resistance.” Paul, writing to Timothy, said, “Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” (2 Timothy 2:3) We are likened to soldiers who need to be both armed and determined.
D. Satan hinders God’s people, God’s men, and the local churches:
Zechariah 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
E. I want to list just a few of “Satan’s devices” this evening as he and his allies will stop at nothing in order to deter the work of the gospel! He is serious!
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1. There Is The Hindrance Of Unreasonable And Wicked Men - 2 Thessalonians 3:1-3 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
2. There Is The Hindrance Of Worldly Persecution - 2 Corinthians 1:8-10 For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead: Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;
3. There Is The Hindrance Of Satanic Oppression - 1 Thessalonians 2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2 Timothy 4:17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
4. There Is The Hindrance Of Religious Sinners - Acts 13:45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
Acts 14:2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren.
5. There Is The Hindrance Of Doctrinal Impurity - Galatians 1:6-9 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: (7) Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. (8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. (9) As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
6. There Is The Hindrance Of Unethical Preachers - 1 Corinthians 9:11-12 If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ.
7. There Is The Hindrance Of Wicked Church Members - 3 John 9-10 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
2 Timothy 4:14-18 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
8. There Is The Hindrance Of An Unforgiving Heart - 2 Corinthians 2:10-11 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; (11) Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.