Temple Baptist Church - 8-2-2015
A. As we see the “natural” succession of unbridled sinfulness across our nation, it is of necessity that we rely completely on the “Rock That Cannot Be Moved,” the Voice of the Lord which, in English, is the King James Bible.
1. By “natural succession,” I mean a natural progression that sin always takes when it is allowed to run its course unchecked.
James 1:13-16 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: (14) But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. (15) Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (16) Do not err, my beloved brethren.
2. The temptation of sin is natural because we all dwell in sinful bodies. “Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.”
3. The temptation of sin does not have the approval of God. “For God … neither tempteth he any man.” God made mankind male or female, not some mutation of the two. Sodomy and trans-sexual behavior are learned behaviors that are against nature and, therefore, cannot satisfy the natural desires of the flesh.
4. The 5 stages of sin are: 1) Temptation to sin b) Conception of sin c) Continuation in sin d) Finishing of sin e) Death by sin!
B. The spiritual decline of our nation is directly proportional to the refusal of its people to heed the Bible! America “knew God” in its beginning and though our nation had some major problems, it followed the Voice of the Lord and was blessed. I want to take a look at the First Mention of the Voice of the Lord for a few minutes and make a proper interpretation along with some practical applications.
C. In Genesis 3, the Bible records the first “appearance” of Jehovah God, the Word of God. The Voice of the Lord was God’s way to reveal Himself to mankind and refutes Deism.
1. When it comes to God, there are many different beliefs. Just to name a few:
2. Atheism – Denys the existence of God.
3. Agnosticism – Allows that there may be a God but believes that He is not knowable.
4. Deism - Deists believe in a Supreme Being who created all things because of logic, reason, and natural observation but do not believe in the divine intervention into the affairs of mankind.
5. Polytheism - belief in the existence of many gods.
6. Theism - specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world.
D. In the beginning of history, we see that the Voice of the Lord came to Adam and Eve in the cool of the day in fellowship. That Voice walked in the Garden with them as God initiated communion with man because of His great love for him.
John 10:3-5 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. (4) And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. (5) And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
1. The Voice of the Lord was a Distinctive Voice. “the sheep hear his voice” (A Voice that is distinct from all others. When God speaks, it is a one of a kind Voice. The Word of God that we hold in our hand this morning is one of a kind! Distinct from all others in its beauty and perfection. Its distinction separates it from all other so called bibles. Its distinction separates it from the voices of this world and their confusion.)
2. The Voice of the Lord was a Knowable Voice. John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (Regardless of what the world says about not knowing or accepting the Bible as the Voice of the Lord, the Voice of the Lord is one that can be known and is known. Does it not seem strange that the Bible is the most rejected and maligned “Voice” in the world?)
3. The Voice of the Lord was a Personal Voice. “Adam” “he calleth his own sheep by name” (The Voice of the Lord is not meant only for others but for each of us individually. God’s love, sacrifice, longsuffering, mercy, and grace are distinctly personal to every individual. Our Lord is a personal Lord!)
E. The Lord speaks to mankind in various ways and His Voice needs to be heard and heeded.
1. The Voice of the Lord comes in Salvation - Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
2. The Voice of the Lord comes in Conviction - Genesis 3:9-10 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? (10) And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
3. The Voice of the Lord comes in Safety - Deuteronomy 8:20 As the nations which the LORD destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.
Jeremiah 42:5-6 Then they said to Jeremiah, The LORD be a true and faithful witness between us, if we do not even according to all things for the which the LORD thy God shall send thee to us. (6) Whether it be good, or whether it be evil, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God, to whom we send thee; that it may be well with us, when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.
4. The Voice of the Lord comes in Blessing - Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. (2) But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. (3) And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
Deuteronomy 15:5 Only if thou carefully hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all these commandments which I command thee this day.
5. The Voice of the Lord comes in Service - Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.