Temple Baptist Church - 12-29-2019
A. This morning, we saw that “What I Have Written I Have Written.” Tonight, I want to look at 2020, future history. We made choices in 2019, both good and bad ones and choices always have consequences.
B. Life is full of Choices and they can be either right or wrong.
1. Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Salvation (It’s Heaven Or Hell)
Deuteronomy 30:19-20 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: 20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.
a) God will not force you to be saved!
b) God has done everything necessary for you to be saved!
c) God gives you the choice: eternal life or eternal death in hell!
2. Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Sin (It Is Peace And Safety Or Consequences And Regrets)
Galatians 6:7-8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. 8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Psalms 51:1-3 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. (That is one sad passage! The sorrow and regret of a man after God’s own heart!)
3. Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Marriage (It Is Heaven On Earth Or It Is Hell On Earth. I cannot stress this enough to our youth! Make sure you find the Lord’s choice for a mate for life.)
a) Do not make quick decisions - Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
b) Do not simply go for looks - Genesis 29:17 Leah was tender eyed; but Rachel was beautiful and well favoured. (Leah was God’s choice!)
Proverbs 31:30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
4. Making Right Or Wrong Choices About Service (It Is Happiness Or Unhappiness)
Joshua 24:14-15 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. 15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
C. Choices are made by each of us every day and they have both temporal and eternal value.
1. We can choose to have a good attitude or a bad attitude. Choose to have a good attitude.
2. We can choose to trust God or not to trust God. Choose to trust God.
3. We can choose to murmur and complain when trials come, or to learn a lesson from hardship. Choose to learn a lesson.
4. We can choose to be a blessing or a discouragement. Choose to be a blessing.
5. We can choose to smile or to frown. Choose to smile.
6. We can choose to be faithful or unfaithful. Choose to be faithful.
7. We can choose to be used of God or to live for self. Choose to be used for God.
8. We can choose to live in sin or to be pure and holy. Choose to be pure and holy.
9. We can choose God’s blessing or God’s cursing. Choose God’s blessing.
D. In our text, we find a few of Paul’s Choices - 17-24
1. He chose to be Uncompromising - 17 “set...defense” (It cost him his friends and family)
2. He chose to be a Soul Winner - 18 “do rejoice ... will rejoice” (It cost him his time)
3. He chose to be Unashamed - 20 “in nothing” (It cost him his pride)
4. He chose to be Bold - 20 “with all boldness” (It cost him his quietness - quietness brings no conflict but boldness brought persecution)
5. He chose to be a Testimony - 20 “magnified ... life” (It cost him his liberty)
6. He chose to be Faithful - 20 “magnified ... death” (It cost him his life)
7. He chose to Trust - 20 “death” (It cost him his self-reliance)
8. He chose to be Holy - 21 “Christ” (It cost him his worldly pleasure)
9. He chose to be Used - 24 “abide ... needful” (It cost him his desires)
d. Some of our choices have little value but some are of great value both now and later: