Temple Baptist Church - 1-31-2018
2 Peter 1:5-13
A. Last week, we studied “The Results of Not Growing Spiritually,” or the negative side of spiritual growth: the lack thereof. Now, let us take a short look at the results of spiritual growth. A lack of spiritual growth is not the will of God for the believer as the Lord wants us to advance in our maturity level as “adults” in the faith.
B. Continued spiritual growth requires several things: Verse 5.
1. It takes Desire – “add” (Individual responsibility)
2. It takes Discipline – “all” (Not just those things that are convenient.)
3. It takes Diligence – “diligence” (It is hard work.)
4. It takes Discernment – “add to your faith” (Saving faith is not enough)
C. Signs of Spiritual Growth”
1. Virtue – Character that leads to good behavior.
2. Knowledge – Understanding of spiritual things. “gnosis” or to know.
3. Temperance – Self-control or continence.
4. Patience – Cheerful endurance or constancy; to remain.
5. Godliness – devout, pious, holy.
6. Brotherly Kindness – Fraternal or love of the brethren.
7. Charity – Benevolence; to love in a social or moral sense. How we treat one another.
D. I want to look at the positive things that accompany spiritual growth. The positive things are just the opposite of the negative ones.
1. You Will Be Fruitful – vs. 8 - “unfruitful”
a. Inward Fruit. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, (23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
b. Outward Fruit. Matthew 5:13-16 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. (14) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. (15) Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. (16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
2. You Will Be Spiritually Knowledgeable – vs. 9 – “blind . . . cannot see afar off.”
a. Doctrinally Pure - 1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
b. Spiritually Pure - Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
3. You Will Have Blessed Assurance – vs. 9 – “hath forgotten that he was purged.”
a. The Witness of the Spirit - 1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
b. The Witness of the Word - 1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
4. You Will Be Spiritually Stable – vs. 10 – “fall.”
a. Stable in Circumstances - Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
b. Stable in Failures - Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.
5. You Will Have A Reward – vs. 11 – “so an entrance.”
a. A Full Reward - 2 John 8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
b. An Eternal Reward - Matthew 6:19-20 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: (20) But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: