Temple Baptist Church - 8-9-2015
1 Chronicles 29:10-13
A. In the previous chapter, David addresses Solomon concerning the blessings of knowing David’s God and the building of Solomon’s Temple. In chapter 29, preparations are made for the construction of the Temple as both David and the people gave with willing hearts. Thus we find the importance of knowing the God whose house is about to be built. By application, it is of the utmost importance that we know the God that we serve. Paul said that his greatest desire was to “know Him.”
1. The Importance of our worship is not found in finances! You can have all of the money in the world and not have God.
2. The importance of our worship is not found in edifices! You can have the most modern, beautiful church building in the world and not have God.
3. The importance of our worship is found in knowledge of the only true God: in His person, attributes, and works.
1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
B. King David now begins to bless the Lord before all the people. I can think of no greater thing that a pastor and church can do! The Lord is greatly to be praised. I want to look at these verses over the next few weeks so as to be able to biblically see what David said.
Psalms 22:3 But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
C. I will not do justice to the greatness of our God as His greatness is unsearchable. But I will make an effort to give Him the glory due His name.
Psalms 145:3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.
D. David begins by saying, “Thine, O LORD, is the greatness!” Greatness belongs to God and He is above all things in heaven or in earth. There was none before Him, there will be none after Him, and there is none like Him.
E. One of the most important attributes of God is His eternality. Without this aspect of His person, what hopes that we have would be limited by His limitation! I have often said that “In the beginning God” is the most profound and powerful statement in the Bible! This is not an argument for God but a statement about God. God is! Psalm 14 declares the foolishness of rejecting the knowable. “When they knew God” in Romans 1 is a statement of fact. All people know God before they reject God.
Psalms 90:1-4 Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. (2) Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. (3) Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men. (4) For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.
1. He Has Been Our Dwelling Place Through All Generations – vs. 1 “all generations”
2. He Was Before The Foundations Of The World Were Laid – vs. 2 “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world”
3. But He Is Also Self-Existing – vs. 2 “before” (His existence does not depend upon the things that are. Before there was anything, He was!)
4. He Has Always Existed – vs. 2 “from everlasting”
5. He Will Always Exist – vs. 2 “to everlasting”
Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
6. He Is Free From The Boundaries Of Time – vs. 4 “For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.”
THE TRINITY IS ETERNAL
Genesis 1:1, 26 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth… And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
God The Father Is Eternal
Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
God The Son Is Eternal
John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
1 Timothy 6:14-16 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
God The Holy Ghost Is Eternal
Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
BECAUSE OF THE ETERNALITY OF GOD THERE IS:
1. An Eternal Salvation - 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
2. An Eternal Forgiveness - Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God.
3. An Eternal Standing - Hebrews 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
4. An Eternal Companion - John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.
5. An Eternal Reward - 2 Corinthians 9:8-9 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
6. An Eternal Resurrection - 2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
7. An Eternal Home - Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
8. An Eternal righteousness That Will Prevail - Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9. An Eternal Life Without A Devil - Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
10. An Eternal Praise - Revelation 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
11. An Eternal Hell - Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.