Temple Baptist Church - 1-31-2021
1 Chronicles 29:10-13
A. God is absolutely Sovereign. The words “absolutely” and “sovereign” are synonyms instead of our usual oxymorons that I use that are antonyms. My word processor tried to remove absolutely but I did not allow. God is ABSOLUTELY SOVEREIGN!! He does what He desires to do anytime He desires to do it!
B. The word “sovereignty” or “sovereign” is not found in your Bible but neither are the words “trinity” or “rapture” found there either. Since the word “sovereignty” is not a bible word, let us look at its definition for clarification:
Sovereignty – Free from all external control; reigning or royal authority; the dominion of a monarch, the complete authority to govern a state; exclusive in right to control one’s thoughts and actions; autonomous; greatest in status, authority, and power; supreme; exceptional in quality.
C. The doctrine of the “Sovereignty of God” is one of both the least understood and the most misunderstood. Many believe that things happen per chance instead of through divine providence. I do not believe in luck. I believe in the providence of an all-knowing, thrice holy God!
D. Sovereignty is a doctrine that we have allowed the Calvinists to “hold hostage.” Every time we use the word, we feel that we must give a disclaimer concerning Calvinism.
E. By the sovereignty of God, it is to be understood that—as Creator of all things both visible and invisible—God is both owner or and ruler over all things. There are many verses in the Bible that show God’s absolute sovereignty and I have listed some for you if you receive or want to receive this sermon in print.
Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
1 Chronicles 29:11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.
Psalms 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.
Isaiah 45:9 Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
Matthew 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Matthew 20:15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
Romans 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
F. Because God is sovereign:
1. He Requires No Counsel - Romans 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
2. He Seeks No Advice - 1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3. He Lacks No Wisdom - James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
4. He Asks No Permission – Job 33:13 Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters.
5. He Answers To No Man - Romans 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
G. In our text for this morning, we have another Full Mention Principle of Bible Interpretation. If there had been no other of the afore mentioned verses in the Bible, these verses have said it all.
1. Verses 10. God is Sovereign in His Person. “Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever.”
1 Timothy 6:15-16 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; (16) Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
There was none before Him, there will be none after Him, and there is none like Him! You cannot do anything about Him. You cannot change Him. You cannot circumvent Him. You cannot ignore Him. And you had better not die without Him!
2. Verse 11. God is Sovereign in His Power. “Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty”
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
3. Verse 11. God is Sovereign in His Possession. “for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine;”
Colossians 1:15-16 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: (16) For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
4. Verse 11. God is Sovereign in His Position. “thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all”
1 Timothy 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
5. Verse 12. God is Sovereign in His Performance. “Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.”
Psalms 75:6-7 For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. (7) But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
6. Verse 13. God is Sovereign in His Praise. “Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.”
Revelation 4:9-11 And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, (10) The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, (11) Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.