Temple Baptist Church - 8-16-2015
1 Chronicles 29:10-13
A. David told Solomon that he needed to get to know the God of David: Jehovah God. Last Sunday, we took a short look at the eternality of God. Infinite and perpetual in nature and being.
B. This morning, I want to look at the sovereignty of God and it may take more than this morning to complete. David beings with “Thine, O LORD.” This is one of the most important doctrines in theology. As one old preacher said, “He either is or He ain’t!” You cannot have a true God without sovereignty! The Bible declares God sovereign in all matters.
C. By the sovereignty of God, it is to be understood that—as Creator of all things both visible and invisible—God is both owner of or and ruler over all things.
Colossians 1:16-17 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (17) And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
D. The Sovereignty of God! You will not find either of the words “sovereign” or “sovereignty” in the Bible but the truth is set forth from Genesis 1:1—where the bible declares that “In the beginning God … God said”—to Revelation 22:21 where it says “Amen!” As God has said, “Let it be so!” As God has willed it, it shall be! In God’s sovereignty, he causes things and also allows things.
E. Since the word “sovereignty” is not a bible word, let us look at its definition for clarification:
Sovereignty – Free from all external control; reigning or royal authority; the dominion of a monarch, the complete authority to govern a state; exclusive in right to control one’s thoughts and actions; autonomous; greatest in status, authority, and power; supreme; exceptional in quality.
F. The doctrine of the “Sovereignty of God” is one of both the least understood and the most misunderstood.
1. Most believe that things happen per chance instead of providence. I do not believe in luck. I believe in the providence of an all-knowing, thrice holy God!
2. Many believe that God’s sovereignty over rules mans ability to choose. God made man a free moral agent and gave man the ability and obligation to choose. This does not do away with God’s sovereignty. It amplifies it. God can do as He chooses and if He gives man the choice of salvation, then it is because He is a sovereign God. The doctrine called Calvinism is both heretical and damnable!
G. Because He is sovereign:
1. He Requires No Counsel - Romans 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Isaiah 40:13-14 Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counsellor hath taught him? 14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?
2. He Seeks No Advice - 1 Corinthians 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
3. He Lacks No Wisdom - James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
4. He Asks No Permission – Job 33:13 Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters.
5. He Answers To No Man - Romans 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
H. God’s sovereignty is a subject that cannot be completely explored in one message so I want to look at just a few things He is sovereign in:
1. God Is Sovereign In His Creation – Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Psalms 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. (Everything in nature contains the “finger prints” of God. You can believe it or deny it but you cannot stop it or change it! You were not there when the foundations were laid: God was there!)
2. God Is Sovereign In His Counsel – John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Proverbs 1:23-30 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you. 24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: 29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: 30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. (You can take it or leave it but you cannot alter it! You may reject it and or change it here on earth but it is forever settled in Heaven. You will hear it again!)
3. God Is Sovereign In His Conversion – John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Salvation is God’s way or not at all. It is His way or the highway! The “Highway to Hell!”)
4. God Is Sovereign In His Circumstances – Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
Job 23:10-14 But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold. 11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined. 12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. 13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth. 14 For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him. (He controls all that happens! Although tough to accept at times, Romans 8:28 is still in the Book! Proverbs 3:5-6 still apply!)
5. God Is Sovereign In His Consequences – John 3:16-18 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Luke 16:22-23 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. (It is either Heaven or Hell! In God’s sovereignty, He gave men a choice. Then, man’s choice leaves God no choice!)