Temple Baptist Church - 8-23-2015
1 Thessalonians 2:18-20
A. One of the most important works of both the local church and the individual believer is that of witnessing or soul winning.
Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
1. We have the power of witness, “after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you.”
2. We have the commandment of witness, “ye shall be.” Matthew 28:18-20 is often called the Great Commission or Great Commandment. The believer is an epistle written of God and read of men.
3. We have the realm of witness, “both” or at the same time at home, our nation, and the rest of the world. Every creature needs a preacher!
B. In our text, we find the great desire that Paul had to lead the lost to Christ and to have fellowship with those who are saved. One of the greatest of Christian joys is:
1. To see people come to know the same Lord that we know; to be going to the same heaven that we are going to.
2. To be able to see the changes that the Lord makes in their lives that reflect the change in our lives.
3. To have the privilege of knowing them, serving the Lord with them, fellowshipping with them, and worshipping with them.
4. And one day, just like today, spend an eternity worshipping our wonderful Lord together.
C. What is the value of a soul. It is of:
1. Infinite value to God - Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2. Infinite value to heaven’s inhabitants - Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
3. Infinite value to the owner - Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
4. Should be of infinite value to us who are saved - 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 (19) For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? (20) For ye are our glory and joy.
D. I want to look at the soul winner for a few minutes tonight.
1. Soul winning is bases upon a personal knowledge of Jesus Christ. Romans 1:16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (17) For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (You can never win souls until you have experienced forgiveness yourself!)
2. Soul winners need to have:
a. A right testimony
b. The joy of the Lord
c. A working knowledge of the Scriptures
d. A compassion for the lost
e. Availability and Readiness to witness
3. Soul winners will be rewarded:
a. In eternity - Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
b. In this life - John 4:36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
4. Soul winners are wise: Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
5. Sour winners are glad - 1Thessalonians 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?