Temple Baptist Church - 12-26-2021
Introduction: **Read verses 12-15.
A. Psalm 92 is a very precious psalm as it describes the intended condition, position, and future of the "righteous." The introduction of the Psalm is "A Psalm or Song for the Sabbath." The emphasis of the Psalm is the importance of the Lord's Day and the house of God.
B. In our day of a "general forsaking" of God's house, the local church, this Psalm can be one of great help to God's people as it shows what God thinks about both the House of God and the "planting" of the righteous.
C. I have often said that there are several different types of "plants" found in or around the local church.
1. There are Artificial Plants. These are always found in churches but, though pretty outwardly, have no life within. These never got in.
2. There are Outside Plants. These are planted all around the local church but never found within. They are never found in the local church.
3. There are Occasional Plants. Poinsettias, Easter Lilies, etc. that find their way to the local church on "special days" but disappear quickly. They just never seem to be able to stay in.
4. There are Flourishing Plants spoken of in Psalm 92. Flourishing with life and productivity.
D. The Flourishing Plant.
1. Verses 1-4 – Flourishing Plants have Faith. These verses line up with Psalm 100. Come into His presence with singing, into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise.
a. Verse 1 – What are we to do. Thanksgiving and Praise.
b. Verse 2 – When are we to do it. In the morning for His Unfailing Love and in the evening for His Faithfulness throughout the day.
c. Verse 3 – How are we to do it. Singing and music on instruments.
2. Verses 4-15 – Flourishing Plants have Faithfulness.
a. Verses 4-5 – Because of Who He Is.
1) Verse 4 – Because of His Person.
2) Verse 5 – Because of His Performance. His works and thoughts.
b. Verses 5-15 – Because of His Provision.
1) Verses 5-9. He provides us with Warning. The ways of the ungodly will not prosper and ultimately be destroyed. Through the eyes of the Bible, the prudent man forseeth the evil afar off.
Proverbs 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.
Psalms 73:17-19 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end. (18) Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction. (19) How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
2) Verses 10-11. He provides us with Joy. Anointing with oil in the middle east was a sign of approval and blessing. God blesses the righteous with a good life while He subdues our enemies. Joy despite our circumstances.
Psalms 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
3) Verses 12-15. He provides us with Testimony. Easily seen by the world.
a) Verse 12. The Growth of the Righteous.
b) Verse 13. The Flourishing of the Righteous. Productive. Fruit bearing. No just an empty profession but a blessed possession.
c) Verse 14. The Endurance of the Righteous. Continual. Faithful. Dependable.
d) Verse 15. The Testimony of the Righteous. To show forth the mercy, graciousness, and goodness of God.
Isaiah 46:4 And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.
Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. (2) But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. (3) And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
Conclusion: The Flourishing Plants love God, and they love God’s church!
1. They will be faithful where they are planted.
2. They will be thankful where they are planted.
3. They will be flourishing where they are planted.