Temple Baptist Church - 3-15-2009
Leviticus 17:11; 1 Peter 1:18-20
A. One of the most important doctrines in the Bible is that of the blood of Christ. It is a doctrine often attacked or maligned. It has even been called “Slaughterhouse Religion” by some religious infidels. It was precious blood! It was perfect blood! It was the blood of God!
1. To deny the blood of Christ is to deny the redemptive work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. To deny the blood of Christ is to pronounce one’s own personal eternal damnation.
3. To deny the blood of Christ is to “slap the face of almighty God.”
B. Such an expression reveals the spiritual condition of the individual:
1. It expresses ignorance of the Bible.
2. It expresses ignorance of the way of salvation.
3. It reflects an absolute lack of the fear of the Lord!
C. The Old Testament was based upon the blood of bulls and goats, which could never take away sin, while the New Testament is based upon the blood of Christ which eternally took away our sins. Both the Old and New Testaments look to the coming of the Messiah and the final Atonement for sins. The Old Testament believer knew that the blood of these animal sacrifices could not atone for sin. That is why Daniel and others who spent 70 years without these sacrifices knew that they were children of God. It was by faith!
1. The Blood Of Christ Established A Better Covenant - Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
2. The Blood Of Christ Offered A Better Sacrifice - Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].
a) Divine Righteousness Was Established – Through the offering of the perfect Son of God.
b) Divine Peace Was Established – The sin debt was canceled for the repentant sinner and peace was made between sinful man and a holy God.
c) A New And Living Way Was Opened – The individual priesthood of the believer gave access to the very presence of God.
D. I want to look at the ministry of the precious blood of Christ for a few minutes:
1. Salvation Comes Only Through The Blood Of Christ!
a. The Blood Redeems The Believer From The Condemnation Of The Law – Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, [who is] the faithful witness, [and] the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
b. It Declared The Believer Judicially Righteous - Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Romans 4:8 Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
2. The Blood Does More Than Just Save The Sinner!
a. The Blood Establishes Communion Between The Believer And God - 1 Corinthians 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
Ephesians 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
b. The Blood Bring A Settled Peace In The Believer - Colossians 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, [I say], whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
c. The Blood Purges The Defiled Conscience Of The Believer - Hebrews 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
d. The Blood Offers Access To The Believer Into The Holy Of Holies - Hebrews 10:19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
e. The Blood Sets The Believer Apart From The World - Hebrews 13:12-13 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. 13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.
f. The Blood Offers Daily Cleansing For The Believer - 1 John 1:7, 9 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Conclusion: Not to be saved is to make:
1. A Foolish Mistake - Hebrews 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
2. A Fatal Mistake - Matthew 27:25 - Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.