Temple Baptist Church - 3-22-2009
A. This is an age of generally dissatisfied people. It is an age of unrest!
1. The things of this world will never satisfy the inward cravings of the soul! Things, things, things: the world always promises and gives you things. They are temporal and unsatisfying in their very nature. They are perishable!
2. You may become a millionaire one day but will find out along with the Madeoff’s of this world that it will not give rest to the soul.
B. Only Christ can and will satisfy the soul because God made it that way!
1. The only things of true value are those done with and for Christ. “He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose.”
2. Sell out to God! Young people, live for Christ! He is your Friend: the very best that you will ever have.
C. In these verses, Christ gives us the way to a satisfying life. It is so simple that it is profound. I want to look at in three parts tonight.1. You Will Find Satisfaction In Invitation (vs. 28) “Come unto me”
D. The Lord of Glory invites people, "Come unto me."
1. It is amazing that He could want anything to do with us, but it is evident that he does.
a. What? "Come unto me." We are not invited to religion but to a person. Christianity is founded, grounded and expanded in the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ.
b. Who? "Unto me"- John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (Here we will discover that Jesus is the way and the door to salvation. If you go to God you must go through Him.)
c. Why? "Labor and are heavy laden." Though we do not get tired "of" life and its demands, we do get tired "in" life. There is a place of relief and rest at the feet of the Lord Jesus.
Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
2. You Will Find Satisfaction In Declaration (vs. 28b) “I will give you rest."
a. There is Emotional Rest - We have so many emotions with which we have to deal each day. We do not have to deal with them alone. We are promised help in the words, "I will give you rest."
b. There is Physical Rest - God can provide for us to get our physical rest. The Bible says, "He giveth his beloved sleep"
Psalms 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
c. There is Spiritual Rest - Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. (Faith is an important factor in rest. Without faith we live with a “disquieted soul.”)
3. You Will Find Satisfaction In Expectation (vs. 29) - "Ye shall find rest..." This has to do with Christ's yoke. Christ says,
a. Take - "Take my yoke upon you" speaks of human responsibility and willingness to embrace the Lord and His plan for our lives. The yoke points to our service for Christ.
b. Learn - Jesus said, "Learn of me." The more we learn about Christ the more willing we will be to give our lives to Him. The more you learn of him the deeper your love and affection grows for Him.
4. You Will Find Satisfaction In Inspiration (vs. 30)– “For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
a. My Yoke is Easy
(1) A yoke speaks of work and labor. God expects us to work for him (Matt. 28:18-20). It is a matter of gratitude for what He has done for us. How ridiculous to hear people say how hard it is to serve the Lord!
(2) The Bible says, "The way of the transgressor is hard" (Prov. 13:15). The world’s yoke is hard!
b. My Burden is Light
(1) There are burdens that come our way as we serve the Lord, but what a blessing to know the Lord can make every burden we face lighter.
(2) Christ is the Burden Bearer for His people.
Conclusion: The things of this world will leave you empty. As friendship with the world is enmity with God, so the things of this world will draw you away from God. The amazing thing is that you can actually have both! Your satisfaction will only be found in salvation and service for Christ Jesus our Lord.