Temple Baptist Church - 3-15-2009
2 Samuel 22:4
A. Last week, we found that the Lord is “Worthy Of Our Praise” because of His “Excellent Name.”
1. What wonderful names are attributed to God in the Bible! They are almost more than can be numbered and give detail descriptions of the attributes and wonders of our marvelous Lord!
2. What a wonderful name, the name of Jesus! There’s still “something about that name!” His name is a name above all others.
B. This evening, I want to look at another reason that He is “Worthy Of Our Praise.”
1. Some people have a name just because they happen to be born into a certain family, such as the Royal Family in Great Britain. Prince Charles had to do nothing to earn his title. It was given to him. Prince Harry had to do nothing to earn his title. It was given to him.
2. The names of the Lord were given to Him because of what and who He was also. They show forth His mighty acts.
Psalms 106:2 Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD? who can shew forth all his praise?
Psalms 145:4 One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.
Psalms 145:12 To make known to the sons of men his mighty acts, and the glorious majesty of his kingdom.
Psalms 150:2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
C. Psalms 126:3 says, “The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.”
1. The song writer said, “Count your blessing, name them one by one…count your blessings; see what God hath done!”
2. We do not always get what we want when we want it but, as we ponder the marvelous works of God, we can still say that God has been so good to us.
1. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His Wondrous Work Of Creation - Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (This is possibly the most powerful verse in the Bible! Oh, the wisdom and power of God in that verse. Every minute detail of creation was made perfect. What power and knowledge!)
Psalms 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalms 19:1-4 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, (Tabernacle: a place of dwelling and worship!)
2. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His His Wondrous Work Of Inspiration - 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Psalms 68:11 The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published [it]. (What a wonderful Bible we have! God gave it and God preserved it! I can preach it, live it, and trust it! An anchor in the shifting sands of human theology!)
3. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His His Wondrous Work Of Propitiation - Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. (What a wonder work that God would become man and die for sinners such as you and I!)
Romans 5:7-8 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world. (Every man, woman, and child, no matter what race or social standing!)
4. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His His Wondrous Work Of Sanctification - 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (What a wonderful change salvation makes in the life of the believer! Truly old things are passed away and all things are become new! God can save an old drunk and make a deacon out of him. God can save a sinful woman and make a godly mother out of her.)
5. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His His Wondrous Work Of Provision - 2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: (He has met all of our needs and many of our wants. He feeds us, shelters us, protects us, guides us, counsels us, chastens us, sustains us, and encourages us! “All things” pertaining to both living in this world and living for Him in this world! What a wondrous work of God!)
6. He Is Worthy Of Our Praise Because Of His His Wonderful Work In Preservation - John 10:27-31 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and my Father are one.
2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (What is it about eternal life that people do not understand? I am saved forever and ever and ever and, as S.M. Lockridge so elegantly put it, “and when you get through with all of the forevers, then amen!”)
Conclusion: Our Lord is worthy to be praised for all of His wondrous works!