Temple Baptist Church - 3-11-2009
A. Galatians begins with a doxology of praise because of the two-fold heresy being dealt with:
1. Salvation is faith mixed with works.
2. Security is by works.
B. Both of these false teachings rely upon self-righteousness and deny salvation by grace through faith alone. In the salutation, Paul reiterates that salvation is of the Lord! It is all about Him! It is all by Him! It is all for Him!
C. The basis of these particular heresies is found in 2 Corinthians 11:1-4.
2 Corinthians 11:1-4 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in [my] folly: and indeed bear with me. 2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
D. The Gospel defined:
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (The True Gospel is all about Christ and not man!)
E. Isn’t the Gospel made amazing clear in the Scripture?
1. How can anyone who is saved, has the Holy Ghost living inside, and a King James Bible to read be confused on this simple doctrine?
2. The answer is found in the word “bewitched” in chapter 3 and verse 1.
F. One of the most often heard phrases that we run into on visitation is: “It doesn’t really matter where you go to church just as long as you believe.”
1. This lie shows the bewitching of both religionists and saints in the Bible Belt. It does matter where you attend church!
2. The pulpit is to be doctrinally pure and churches that preach works for salvation or preservation are not to be attended! Most churches are preaching “another gospel which is not another!”
G. YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH GRACE AND WORKS for one destroys the other. This “another gospel:”
1. Another Gospel Is A Different Message. It is amazing to see those who have "tasted the heavenly gift" and experience the grace of God being led astray by erroneous teaching which can never satisfy! But God in His WORD said it would be so!
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (1 Timothy 4:1-2). NO sharper rebuke can be found in Pauline writing
John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
2. Another Gospel Is A Doctrine Of Man. It is evident that this “another gospel” did not come from the mind of God but the mind of man. It is the doctrine of man. How do we know? Because it in direct opposition to everything the true Gospel stands for.
H. This “another gospel:”
1. Exalts The Person Of Man – Ecclesiastes 7:20 For [there is] not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean [thing], and all our righteousnesses [are] as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
2. Exchanges Work For Grace – Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Romans 4:3-5 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Romans 11:5-6 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
3. Enslaves Men To The Law - Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
John 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
Ecclesiastes 3:14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth [it], that [men] should fear before him.
4. Eternally Damns The Sinner - Romans 1:16-18 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; (It is “believeth,” not “worketh!”)
1. The Purpose Of The Gospel:
a. It Exalts The Person Of Our Salvation – vs. 3
Philippians 2:5-11 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
b. It Exhibits The Price Paid For Our Salvation – vs. 4
1 Peter 1:18-21 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
1 Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
c. It Extends The Purpose Of Our Salvation – vs. 4b
(1) The Purpose Of Forgiveness - Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Colossians 2:13-14 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (Past, present, and future.)
(2) The Purpose Of Freedom – Romans 8:1-4 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
(a) There Is Present Deliverance - Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And [that] he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
(b) There Is Future Deliverance - Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
2. The Products Of The Gospel:
a. The Gospel Pleases God - Corinthians 1:18, 21—“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God…For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.”
b. The Gospel Displays The Power Of God – Romans 1: 16-17 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
c. The Gospel Exalts The Nature Of God - 1 Timothy 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom [be] honour and power everlasting. Amen.
Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Psalms 145:17 The LORD [is] righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
d. The Gospel Convicts Man – Acts 2:37-38 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Conclusion: Verse 4 is the essence of the Gospel: “Who gave himself for our sins.” One man wrote this: “If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don’t like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.”