Temple Baptist Church - 3-12-2023
A. In these days of theological confusion and ecclesiastical compromise, the slogan of the ecumenical movement has been “Doctrine divides while love unifies.” This slogan is both right and wrong.
1. This slogan is scriptural in that doctrine certainly divides which is a good thing.
2. This slogan is an unscriptural one because true love follows biblical doctrine.
3. The ecumenical movement is not a scriptural concept as it requires sound doctrine to be laid aside for the sake of fellowship.
1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
2 Corinthians 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
2 Thessalonians 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
B. Are we to patronize them, associate with them, accept their sponsorship, increase their numbers, send them converts, add to their prestige, follow their leadership, identify our churches with them, obliterate important Biblical distinctions with them???
C. The Identification of Sound Doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
D. The Importance of Sound Doctrine.
1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
1. The Form of Godliness Crowd: “lovers of their own selves” set the tone for their lives. 2 Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2. The Doctrine of Paul set the tone for his life. 2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
E. The Individuality of Sound Doctrine.
1. Moses’ Doctrine. Deuteronomy 32:2-4 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass: (3) Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. (4) He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
2. Job’s Doctrine. Job 11:4 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.
3. Timothy’s Doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:15-16 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (16) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
4. Paul’s Doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
5. Titus’ Doctrine. Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
6. My Doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
7. Is it Your Doctrine. Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
F. The Imperative of Sound Doctrine.
1. We Are To Continue Steadfastly in Sound Doctrine - Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (And this is not popular in our spiritually decaying world.)
2. We Are To Guard Against False Doctrine – 1 Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, (Satan will try to “bind the strongman” through the division of infiltration. We are to guard our church.)
3. We Are To Teach Sound Doctrine – 1 Timothy 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. (And so much the more as we see the day approaching.)
4. We Are To Heed The Doctrine – 1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. (There is a difference between knowing doctrine and living it.)
5. We Are To Appreciate Sound Doctrine – 1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
6. We Are To Follow Sound Doctrine - 2 Timothy 3:10-11 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, (11) Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
7. We Are To Separate From False Doctrine - Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Post a Comment