Sunday, March 5, 2023

When We Are Overwhelmed

 Temple Baptist Church - 3-5-2023

Psalm 61:1-8


Introduction:

 

A.  I find it amazing how much that a man after God’s own heart struggled during his lifetime.  Our way of thinking is that, if a child of God is faithful, his/her life will be an easy one.  Psalm after Psalm, we find the hardships of David to seemingly be a way of life.

 

B.  I am also amazed at David’s attitude toward both life and service.  “If this is all that I get for serving the Lord, I believe I will just quit” would be the theme song for most of us.

 

C.  I am also amazed at the great love for God that I find in King David.  No matter what came, his love for God never changed.  There is a little chorus that we used to sing many years ago that come to mind.

 

“I love you; I love you.

Because you first loved me.

And purchased my salvation on Calvary’s tree.”

 

Not

 

“I love you; I love you.

Because you’ve been so good to me.

And sheltered my life from the enemy.”

 

D.  Though King David was faithful and strong spiritually, we get a little insight into his inner feelings.  The strong, the faithful, the trusting King of Israel is overwhelmed!

 

E.  All of us at times are overwhelmed because of circumstances.  We tend to blame ourselves for weak moments during burdensome times.  We are a lot harder on self than God is on us!  REMEMBER, God made you that way.  I do not blame Him, but He made us human at best. 

 

F.  When I get overwhelmed, and all of us do, I just remind God that He made me that way for a purpose.  If I never got overwhelmed, I would operate in my own strength instead of having to rely upon His.  I would not pray as often because I would not need Him.

 

G.  Notice that King David did not say “if my heart is overwhelmed,” he said, “when my heart is overwhelmed.”  Overwhelmed – to bury or drown beneath a huge mass: 

 

1.  In His humanity, the Lord was overwhelmed.

 

Mark 14:32-35  And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.  (33)  And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;  (34)  And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.  (35)  And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.

 

Luke 22:44  And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

 

2.  In his sin, Peter was overwhelmed.

 

Matthew 26:75  And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

 

3.  In his circumstances, Paul was overwhelmed.

 

2 Corinthians 1:8  For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life:

 

H.  In His humanity, the Lord knows how we feel.

 

Hebrews 4:15  For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

 

1.  God knows that we are not omniscient.  We do not know what the tomorrow will bring not do we know the final outcome of our trials.  We are human.

 

2.  God knows that we are not omnipotent.  We do not have the power to overcome all things because we are but flesh.

 

3.  God knows that we are not superhuman nor are we super spiritual at times.  God knows our frame. 

 

Psalms 103:13-17  Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.  (14)  For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.  (15)  As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.  (16)  For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.  (17)  But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

 

J.  But, along with the Apostle Paul, we need to realize that when we come to the end of our strength, it is then we find His.  When we come to the end of our power, it is then we find His.

 

2 Corinthians 12:9-10  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

K.  When we are afraid, we can still trust the Lord to care, provide, and protect us.

 

Psalms 56:3  What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

 

L.  Some lessons that we can learn from King David when his troubles overwhelmed him.

 

1.  Verse 1.  That the Lord is just a prayer away.  “hear … attend”

 

2.  Verse 2.  That when we are at our lowest, the Lord will lead to His highest.

 

3.  Verses 3.  That the Lord is our shelter and our high tower.  He will protect us from our enemies which includes self.

 

4.  Verse 4.  That faithfulness to the house of the Lord is our safe place.  Covert – a hiding place.  Selah – Meditate upon that for a while.  So many get away from the Lord by forsaking His place of worship.

 

Psalms 91:1-2  He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  (2)  I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

 

5.  Verses 5-8.  Remember to keep your vows made in the good times.  The Lord will honor them keep His promises in the bad times.

 

a.  Verse 5.  The promise of the Lord’s heritage (inheritance).  God promised that David would establish the throne for eternity.

 

b.  Verse 6.  The promise of a long, fruitful life here. 

 

c.  Verse 7.  The promise of eternity when all this is gone like a night when it is past.  Our sufferings that overwhelm us are but for a moment of time.

 

d.  Verse 8.  The promise of worship both now and forever.

No comments: