Temple Baptist Church - 10-11-2020
A. Now that we have the inward man taken care of: love, joy, and peace.
B. And the outward man taken care of: longsuffering, gentleness, and goodness.
C. We can now establish a right relationship with the Lord. The Seventh aspect of the Fruit of the Spirit is Faith.
D. **Hebrews 11:1-6. The biblical definition of faith is as good as it gets.
Hebrews 11:1-3 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (2) For by it the elders obtained a good report. (3) Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
1. The substance of things hoped for. “Substance” is something that can be touched or seen. Through others in similar situations, we can see the “hand of God” in both their victories and defeats. “Hoped for” are future events that will follow the pattern of history. Things that we are persuaded of: when tornados came, my mom would always say, “God knows where I am!”
2. The evidence of things not seen. “Evidence” means persuaded by something witnessed. In verse 3, we find the evidence of nature’s creation. Perfect, synchronized, uniform in procreation, designed to work together as nothing that is made is without purpose. Supernatural things that are happening both to us and around us.
E. Our relationship with God is faith based upon and then continued through Faith! Without faith, nothing else matters.
a. Faith points to God – Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
b. Faith pleases God – Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
1. Our Salvation is Faith Based. Hebrews 11:6a “cometh to God must believe that he is”
a) The agent of saving faith - Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
b) The action of saving faith - Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
c) The assurance of saving faith - Romans 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
2. Our Service is Faith Based. Hebrews 11:6b “and that he is a rewarder”
2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
a. It produces results in the believer – Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 11:26-27 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. (27) By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
b. It promises reward to the believer – Hebrews 12: 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Psalms 31:23-24 O love the LORD, all ye his saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. (24) Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
3. Our Spiritual Communion is Faith Based. Hebrews 6c “them that diligently seek him.”
John 20:28-29 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (29) Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
a. Our Prayers are Faith Based - Matthew 21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
b. Our Worship is Faith Based - John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.