Sunday, October 25, 2020

The Fruit of The Spirit: Temperance

Temple Baptist Church - 10-25-2020

Galatians 5:22

 

Introduction:  One fruit manifesting itself in 9 different aspects: three inward, three outward, and three upward.

 

A.  The word “temperate” is found only 3x in the New Testament and none in the Old Testament.  Though mentioned only 3x, the principle of temperance is found in many places.

 

Definition:  In control on one’s passions.  Moderation in action, thought, of feeling.

 

B.  Intemperance Is A Sign Of Our Times.  3 Timothy 3:1-5 – incontinent – without self-control.  (**Galatians 5:19-21 are all signs of intemperance!)

 

C.  Temperance is an aspect of the Fruit Of The Spirit – Galatians 5:22 – and should be manifested in the life of every Christian.  (We all have areas that need to be worked on)

 

D.  Temperance is something that must be added - 2 Peter 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

 

E.  Temperance is essential to doing God’s will - 1 Corinthians 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

 

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.  (Testimony before the lost)

 

F.  The Bible Speaks Of The Importance of Temperance In Both Our Spiritual Life And Our Physical Life.  These two are intrinsically tied together.  

 

1.  Spiritual Temperance.  Ecclesiastes 7:16  Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?

 

a.  What does this mean?  First, let explain what it does not mean. 

 

1a.  It does not mean that God accepts sinfulness.  God expects holiness from His children.

 

1 Peter 1:15-16  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;  (16)  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

 

1b.  It does not mean that the outward appearance does not matter.  Our outward is often a reflection of our inward.

 

Romans 12:1-3  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  (2)  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  

 

Now, most quote verses 1 and 2 while ignoring verse 3.

 

(3)  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

 

b.  “Be not righteous over much” means not to be “holier than thou.”  To look down on others through vain comparison.

 

Proverbs 26:5  Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit. (Vanity-excessively proud of oneself.)

 

Proverbs 26:12  Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

 

1 Samuel 16:7  But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

 

2 Corinthians 5:12  For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.

 

c.  Spiritual Temperance quells Phariseeism.  Romans 12:3  For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

 

2.  Physical Temperance.  1 Corinthians 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

 

a.  We must control our Passions - 1 John 2:15-16  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  (16)  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

 

b.  We must control our passion for Possessions - 1 John 2:15-17 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

 

1a.  The Danger of Possessions - 1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

 

1b.  The Destruction of Possessions - 1 Timothy 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.  

 

1c.  The Deception of Possessions – 1 timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

 

c.  We must control our passion for Pleasure.

 

1a.  Worldly Pleasure is a sign of the times - 2 Timothy 3:4  Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God.

 

1b.  Worldly Pleasure can become your master - Titus 3:3  For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.

 

1c.  Worldly Pleasure is short lived - Hebrews 11:25  Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

 

Ecclesiastes 12:1  Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

 

d.  We must control our passion for Power or Position.

 

1a.  Self-Exaltation is a common problem - 2 Corinthians 12:7-9  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

1b.  Self-Exaltation eventually leads to abasement - Matthew 23:12  And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

 

The Keys To Temperance

 

1.  There Must Be Crucifixion - Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

 

1 Corinthians 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

 

1 Corinthians 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

 

2.  There Must Be Contentment - 1 Timothy 6:6  But godliness with contentment is great gain.

 

Philippians 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

 

1 Timothy 6:8  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

 

Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

No comments: