Temple Baptist Church - 6-19-2011
2 Peter 1:1-4
A. Anytime you have a 2nd or 3rd Book of the bible by the same name, they invariably deal with apostasy and the end time. We are there and we live in ungodly days. Throughout the bible, we see men who lived ungodly and men who lived godly in ungodly times.
B. There are several things that we need to notice pertaining to godliness:
1. We have obtained righteousness through our Lord Jesus Christ – vs. 1
2. God wants us to have peace of mind in this ungodly world – vs. 2
3. God has given us all things pertaining unto life – vs. 3
4. God has given us all things pertaining unto godliness vs. 3
5. We are to be partakers of the Lord’s divine nature – vs. 4
C. Ungodliness Has Permeated Our Nation - Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
D. Ungodliness Has Permeated Our Churches - 2 Timothy 3:1-5 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
E. Godliness Is Commanded - 1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
F. Godliness Is Possible - 2 Peter 1:3-4 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
1. God Has Given To Us A New Nature - 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2. God Has Given To Us His Precious Holy Spirit - 1 John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
3. God Has Given To Us His Infallible Word - Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
Psalms 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
4. God Has Given To Us Godly Examples - 1 Thessalonians 1:7 So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia.
1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
1 Peter 5:3 Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
HOW TO LIVE A GODLY LIFE
1. Godliness Is The Result Of A Repentant Heart - 2 Corinthians 7:9-10 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death
Proverbs 28:13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
2. Godliness Is A Result Of Denying Worldly Lusts - Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
1 Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
3. Godliness Is A Result Of A Heavenly Hope - Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
2 Peter 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness
4. Godliness Is A Result Of Hard Work - 1 Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
1 Timothy 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
2 Peter 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
5. Godliness Is A Result Of Contentment - 1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
6. Godliness Is A Result Of The Fear Of The Lord - Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear::
Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.
Psalms 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.