Temple Baptist Church - 6-19-2011
A. The interpretation of this verse is to Israel in the last days.
Isaiah 2:1-2 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. (2) And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
B. Chapter 4 begins with the prophecy, “And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.”
1. There never has been a shortage of men and today is not an exception. Look around and you will see “men” everywhere but there is a difference between a man and a “good man!” A good man is hard to find.
2. Here, we find 7 women looking for one good man! Though the bible does not use the word “good” here, it is certainly implied because why else would seven women be looking for one man. They are evidently looking for a certain kind of man.
3. I am sure that they are not looking for a drunkard, drug addict, abuser, coward, sissy, womanizer, etc. That would be foolish. They are searching for a “good” man and, when they find him, they will “lay hold” on him.
4. These women are all over the place in our day. These are women whose feet abide not in their houses; women whose homes are broken up; women who cannot maintain themselves; women who are desperate and running from one man to the other.
5. Ladies, they are looking for your husbands; they are looking for your sons. The reason is this: good men are hard to find!
C. I am talking about real men because most homes in our days are raising subservient men! The majority of homes today are run by women.
1. Docile men who know the real voice of authority in the home: the woman. I watch “men” walk around meekly while their wives make the decisions and do most of the talking. Strong women raise meek men!
2. Soft men who do not know how to be a real man. A real man does not have to be a hard man but I believe that he needs to be a tough man! A real man’s man like my dad was. No one ever questioned his manhood because it was evident. Our world is full of sissy looking and acting men. Strong women become the “hero” to little boys and therefore the role model. Strong women produce sissy boys which help to produce sodomites.
a) They are soft in their appearance.
b) They are soft in their actions.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.
D. I thank God that my dad and mom raised men. I looked at my two brothers this past week and they are strong men; they are decisive men; they are real men. If you have a “man” this morning, thank God for him.
1. Do not try to change him! He cannot be the man that he needs to be unless you allow him to do so. Wives, be in subjection to your man. God commands it and your husband needs it. Give him honor, praise, love, and obedience. Remember your wedding vows? “To obey” is still in them. Women are raised independent and strong these days and this becomes a major problem in the homes.
1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. (God said that! This is not a chauvinist statement; it is a biblical statement!)
2. Do not try to tame him! Men do not like to be subservient to the woman if they are a real man. Honor your man by allowing him to take the position in the home that he deserves. He will make some blunders; he will make some mistakes; but you will be glad that he is manly.
E. One of the worst things that has happened in theses last days is the breakdown of the home. Very few homes have a father image in it, much less a godly father image. Each man in this church is either a father or a father image according to this verse. Our children need men in the church as role models and not have to go to the world for them. Every man in this church is to be walking in such a way as to lead our children in the way of righteousness.
F. Children belong to the Lord and are only given to us to raise for Him.
1. Children Are A Blessing To Us - Psalms 127:4-5 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.
a) To The Parents - Psalms 128:1-4 Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table. Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.
b) To The Grandparents - Proverbs 17:6 Children’s children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.
2. Children Are A Blessing To The Lord - Psalms 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage (His property) of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
G. Children automatically look up to men as mentors and role models - Proverbs 17:6 Children’s children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers. (Glory - the beauty, splendor, the boasting - to be proud of)
H. This past week, I was around a young man who has no male role model in his life. His mother is doing the best that she can to help him grow up, but he needs a man. I tried to take a little time to witness to him, advise him, and to encourage him. May God give us some real men this morning.
1. Men who love the Lord!
2. Men who love their families!
3. Men who love their homes!
4. Men who lead, direct, and defend what is theirs.
LORD, PLEASE GIVE US SOME GODLY FATHERS
1. Fathers Need To Be Examples That Can Be Easily Followed - Proverbs 22:28 Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set. (A boundary or a border)
2. Fathers Need To Be Examples Of Walking By Faith - Psalms 22:4-5 Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them. They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded. (Confounded - not ashamed, confused, or disappointed)
Psalms 78:12-16 Marvellous things did he in the sight of their fathers, in the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan. He divided the sea, and caused them to pass through; and he made the waters to stand as an heap. In the daytime also he led them with a cloud, and all the night with a light of fire. He clave the rocks in the wilderness, and gave them drink as out of the great depths. He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers.
3. Fathers Need To Be Examples Of Purity And Holiness - Psalms 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. (Strangers to the world and companions with God)
1 Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. (We should not have habits of sinfulness that our children may follow)
4. Fathers Need To Be Spiritual Teachers For Our Children - Psalms 44:1 We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old. (You cannot teach what you have not experienced)
Psalms 78:1-4 Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old: Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
5. Fathers Need To Be Examples In Worship And Praise - Isaiah 64:11 Our holy and our beautiful house, where our fathers praised thee, is burned up with fire: and all our pleasant things are laid waste. (It takes a real man to openly worship the Lord! Unashamed!)
Dear Lord, give us some real men in these last days. Men who make You proud; men who make their families proud; men who can be followed!