Temple Baptist Church - 7-3-2011
A. Here we are again approaching Independence Day. When we think of July 4th, we think of a lot of things: hot dogs and hamburgers, Bar-B-Q, boating, family get-togethers, etc. All are fun and I am glad that we can enjoy these things. We enjoy them because of July 4th, 1776. America declared its independence from Great Britain and became the one of the greatest nations that has ever existed. We are blessed this morning to be born an American. Never be forgetful of the fact that you are more blessed than anyone else in the world.
B. What made America great? There are several things that make us stand out from an internal perspective but sometimes an unbiased look is good. The French statesman, Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859) studied the workings of democracy in the early part of the 19th century in order to understand America’s success. He then wrote:
“I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there.
I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her fertile fields and boundless forests and it was not there.
I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there.
I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her public school system and her institutions of learning, and it was not there.
I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution, and it was not there.
Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power.
America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good. America will cease to be great.”
C. Now the question arises, “What makes America good?”
1. We Are Good Because Of Our God – It is still “one nation under God” and if that ever changes, we are history. Our God is not Allah; our God is not Buddha; our God is not made of wood, stone, or precious metal; our God is Jehovah God: the God of Israel and the God of this bible. The Lord, He is good!
2. We Are Good Because Of Our Goal – To goal is to grant to every citizen total equality! We are a melting pot. We have, as American citizens, every race, color, and creed. Our people are from Europe, Africa, Asia, Asia Minor, North and South America. Our people are diverse in their heritage and yet we are the same in our unity and goals. We are Americans!
Over the main entrance to the Statue of Liberty, we find these words from Emma Lazarus’ poem, “"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
Within the Declaration of Independence we find these words, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, which among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
3. We Are Good Because Of Our Government – A government by the people and for the people. Our officials are elected and, if they do wrong, we can “unelect” them. A government with checks and balances: no one man or one party can dictate to our country. We have liberals, moderates, and conservatives. Our three branches are totally separate as well as totally united. We have Executive, legislative, and judicial. We have elections every two years. Our forefathers were very special to set up a government so special.
Isaiah 33:22 For the LORD is our judge (Judicial), the LORD is our lawgiver (Legislative), the LORD is our king (Executive); he will save us.
James Madison, the chief architect of the constitution prepared the three branches of Government based on the wisdom gained from the scriptures.
4. We Are Good Because Of Our Freedom – We have freedoms that are protected by the Constitution. We can go where we please; say what we want; believe what we want to believe; worship how we want to worship. We are FREE! Eternal vigilance is still the price of liberty!
5. We Are Good Because Of Our Blessing – We have great natural resources; plenty to eat; natural protection (oceans on either side); plenty to do when we are bored; plenty of room to seclude ourselves in when we want to be “bored.” From shore to shore, we have more than any nation has ever had and are rich beyond the world’s imagination. They come to America because it is a Utopia to them.
D. Because we are good, great, and blessed, our Accountability Is Great – To whom much is given, much is required. We are accountable for where we live; what we have; what we believe; and how we behave! Let us never forget the God who gave it all to us!
E. I want to look at a few things that we cause America to go down. God has promised blessing to the nation whose God is the Lord and damnation to the nation that forgets God.
1. America Will Go Down When It Forgets God! Deuteronomy 8:11 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:
Deuteronomy 8:19-20 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. (20) As the nations which the LORD destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.
2. America Will Go Down When It Becomes Materialism Becomes Their God! Deuteronomy 8:12-14 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein; (13) And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; (14) Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;
3. America Will Go Down When It Becomes Prioritized With Pleasure! 2 Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
4. America Will Go Down When It Becomes Proud! Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
5. America Will Go Down When It Becomes Preoccupied with Sex! Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Jude 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
Conclusion: I do not have to tell you that America, at this point in time, is in big trouble with God! Pray for those in authority! Pray for America!