Temple Baptist Church - 10-04-2009
A. Job’s Frustration:
1. Sometimes God’s leading seems hard – vs. 1
2. Sometimes God’s leading seems unfair – vs. 3-7
3. Sometimes God’s leading seems obscure – vs. 8-9
B. Job’s Faith - We need to understand that His leading is always right! – vs. 10
1 Peter 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
C. Job’s Following - Does the Lord care where we are? Notice again that Job said, “My foot hath held his steps.” (Held – to be steadfast!)
1. Our Steps Are Observed Steps - Psalms 139:1-5 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. (He thinketh upon us and, therefore, He both knows and understands our every trial and blessing!)
2. Our Steps Are Compassed Steps – Psalms 139:3-5 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. (We are hid with Christ in God which means that we are surrounded by Him!)
3. Our Steps Are Numbered Steps - Job 14:16 For now thou numberest my steps: dost thou not watch over my sin? (A certain number of steps to follow)
D. Let’s look at some characteristics of “His steps:”
1. His Steps Are Sure Steps
Psalms 18:36 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.
Psalms 18:33 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
Psalms 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.
2. His Steps Are Ordered Steps
Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
3. His Steps Are Protected Steps
Psalms 57:6 They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves.
Psalms 139:3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4. His Steps Are Righteous Steps
Psalms 85:13 Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.
Psalms 119:133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.
Psalms 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
5. His Steps Are Joyous Steps
Psalms 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
6. His Steps Are Good Steps
Psalms 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.
Psalms 65:11 Thou crownest the year with thy goodness; and thy paths drop fatness.
Psalms 3:17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
7. His Steps Are Plain Steps
Psalms 27:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
8. His Steps Are Glowing Steps
Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
9. His Steps Are Living Steps
Poverbs 12:28 In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway thereof there is no death.