Temple Baptist Church - 10-25-2009
A. The most wondrous verses of the Bible are found in the beginning of creation! I am in AWE! I stand overwhelmed when I allow my mind to drift back to the time of the beginning when God said, “In the beginning God!” Here we find a theological statement beyond our comprehension. “In the beginning God!” “From everlasting to everlasting, thou ART God!”
B. I stand amazed that God was, God is, and God will always be! He needs nothing! He needs no one! He is self-contained! He is self-reliant! He is self-existing! He is God!
C. Here in the beginning, we find several truths concerning light.
1. There was a “natural” absence of light. God created the heavens and the earth both in darkness. Light, as we understand it, always has a specific source. Fire, electricity, heavenly bodies, lightening, etc.
2. Light was brought forth out of darkness.
3. Light was divided from darkness.
4. Light was good.
D. Light is essential to life. This is scientific fact that cannot be denied. It is through photosynthesis that we have the oxygen that we breathe. As physical life is dependent upon light, so is spiritual life dependent upon light.
Psalms 36:9 For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light. (It is through the light of God that we see spiritual light and, therefore spiritual life.)
E. I want to look at several on the multitude of mentions of light in the Bible.
1. The Light Of Creation - 2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
a. Light is essential to Illumination. We find in these verses that God, when creating the heavens and the earth, created them in darkness! In the first 5 verses on Genesis, we find that God’s second creative act brought forth light out of darkness! This is an amazing statement that is vital to the truth of light in the Bible.
b. There was no obvious source of light in the beginning. We get light from the heavenly bodies but they were not yet created. We get light from various sources today but they were not yet manufactured. God brought forth light out of darkness! An act that only God can do! We will find that God consistently brings forth light out of darkness.
c. Light is essential to life. Light came before life! Light came before animal, plant, or human life!
2. The Light Of Inspiration - 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (Without the inspiration of Scripture, we would have neither revelation of God or prophecies concerning His Son, Jesus Christ.)
3. The Light Of Incarnation - John 1:4-5 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
John 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (In Christ’s light, we see light and, therefore, walk in the light!)
4. The Light Of Illumination - John 1:6-9 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
Psalms 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Romans 1:19-22 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, (It is of no wonder that God said, “The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God!)
5. The Light Of Transfiguration - Matthew 17:1-2 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Psalms 104:1-2 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty. 2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain: (Our Lord Jesus Christ is now glorified and we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is!)
6. The Light Of Denunciation - John 3:19-21 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. (Denunciation of the old man and a turning from the old life.)
7. The Light Of Identification - 1 John 1:5-7 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (We that are saved are now indentified with our Lord! I am His and He is mine! I am not ashamed of either the Lord or the gospel of Christ!)
8. The Light Of Glorification
1 Corinthians 15:53-54 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Revelation 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.