Temple Baptist Church - 10-11-2009
A. In many of the Psalms, we find the man of God in distress because of either his surrounding circumstances or the oppression of the wicked.
B. In these verses that I read, we find the prayer of the sorrowful saint. Verse 3 describes the depths of his sorrow. In this life, we find much in the way of sorrow and trouble but, thank God, there is a better day coming!
Revelation 21:3-4 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning!)
C. I want to call you attention to verse 7 for a minute. The Psalmist said, “Return unto thy rest, O my soul!”
Psalms 37:7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
1. Here we find that our soul has a rest. (This is spiritual rest.)
2. Our soul is meant to remain in that rest. (Spiritual rest is in the Lord.)
3. There is a possibility of our soul leaving that rest. (A disquieted soul.)
a) Our Battles are Long and Hard
b) Our Way is Rough and Weary
c) Our Tongues are Bitter and Complaining
d) Our Spiritual Eyesight becomes Dimmed and Limited
e) Our Hearts are Ungrateful and Selfish
4. There are some things that will cause our soul to return unto its rest.
d. There are several foundations to that rest.
1. The Foundation of our love for the Saviour – vs. 1 (We love Him and He loves us!)
2. The Foundation or our supplication to the Saviour – vs. 1 (He not only hears our cry but awaits it!)
3. The Foundation of our confidence in the Saviour – vs. 2-6 (He wants the best for us and can do anything at anytime in any circumstance!)
1. Rest In Our Salvation - Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
2. Rest In Our Service – 2 Corinthians 7:5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.
Mark 6:31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
3. Rest In Our Stand - Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
4. Rest In Our Spirit – 2 Corinthians 2:13 I had no rest in my spirit, because I found not Titus my brother: but taking my leave of them, I went from thence into Macedonia.
5. Rest In Our Sanctuary - Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
6. Rest In Our Saviour - Matthew 11:28-29 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.