Temple Baptist Church - 11-30-2008
A. I have been preaching on conversions for the past few weeks and, considering the pictures of biblical salvations found in the Bible, not many are now being truly saved. We have a lot of professions but little actual salvations. This is truly “Noe’s Day!”
B. Why a remnant? Verse 5 says, “even at this present time.” That was two thousand years ago. Only a few were being saved then! I want to look at this thought this morning, “Why a remnant?”
Why A Remnant? Negatively Speaking!
1. There is only a remnant because the Apostasy is now in “full bloom.” There have always been liberals, but now the so-called fundamental preachers have capitulated. Now it is sheer numbers that motivate men in the pulpits of America. There was a slogan once used that said, “Win the lost at any cost.” The cost has been great. Churches have let down all standards of holiness with the introduction of “Life Style Evangelism.” The slogan now is “Come as your, do as you please, leave as you came, drop your tithe in the offering plate on your way out.” In the fifties, the push was Sunday School and baptisms. What a wonderful thing to fill our Sunday Schools with the lost, but, unfortunately, they graduated from class to class and then from Sunday School to Church Membership through the baptistery.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2. There is only a remnant because Biblical Christianity is now almost impossible to find. 2 Timothy gives the description of the end time “professor.” The Church acts and looks like the world. Where is 2 Corinthians 5:17 in today’s professing Christian? From Lot to Laodicea!
2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
Mark 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
3. There is only a remnant because Ecumenism has become the rule of the day. The liberal has always tried to join hands with the Bible believer. Even in Nehemiah’s day, they told God’s man to come down off the wall and fellowship for a while. Today, it is the fundamental (so-called) preacher that is now taking the initiative. It is politically correct not to mention doctrinal difference or to be “judgmental” towards others who deny the Bible, err from the faith, teach another way of salvation, accept into its ranks the “Great Whore” of the Revelation. My Bible still teaches separation.
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
4. But, Thank God there is still a remnant!
Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
Why A Remnant? Positively Speaking!
1. Because There Are Still Some Men Preaching Righteousness (Noah preached an 120 years with little results, but he continued to preach) - 2 Peter 2:5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
Amos 8:11-12 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
Romans 2:3-11 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God.
2. Because There Are Still Some Churches Standing In The “Old Paths” - Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Jeremiah 7:23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
Isaiah 2:5 O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.
3. Because There Are Still Some People Saved And Kept By Grace Alone - Romans 11:5-6 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Romans 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
1 Peter 1:5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
4. Because There Are Still Some Sinners Seeking and Finding Truth - Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
5. Because There Is Still A God In Heaven Who Seeks And Saves That Which Is Lost - Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
6. Because There Are Still Some Laborers In The Harvest - Luke 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. (There are still a few soul winners. Thank God!)