Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Pastor’s Life

Temple Baptist Church - 11-26-2008

2 Corinthians 12:11-21

Introduction:

A. In his dealings with the most carnal church mentioned in the New Testament, the Apostle Paul is portrayed as a caring and loving pastor. We live in a day where churches have preachers, not pastors. Though the pastor is to be a preacher, a preacher is not necessarily a pastor.

B. The pastor is a gift from God to the local church. A Pastor is God Called not Momma or Daddy Enlisted - Acts 22:13-15 Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him. 14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth. 15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.

C. Many of the pastors who fill the pulpits as well as the preachers that cross our land are simply hireling prophets. They are in the ministry for what they can get and not for the glory of God and the edification of the saints. They love to be called “Reverend” and to be recognized as a “man of the cloth.” I personally refuse to be called “Reverend!” I am Pastor, Preacher, or Brother Dave.

D. In these verses that I have read tonight, we find once again the heart of this great man of God.

1. The Pastor’s Life

a. He is to be a Blessing and not a Burden – vs. 14 (Four times in this particular epistle[11:9; 12:33-16], Paul said that he had been a burden to the people. He had evidently been accused to it.)

b. His longing is the Brethren and not their Belongings – vs. 14

1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight [thereof], not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

c. His work is Desired and not a Dispensation – vs. 15

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation [of the gospel] is committed unto me.

d. He gives both of his Possessions and his Person – vs. 15

2. The Pastor’s Love

a. His Love is a great Love – vs. 15

John 10:11-13 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry [them] in his bosom, [and] shall gently lead those that are with young.

b. His Love is not always a reciprocal Love – vs. 15

Galatians 4:15-16 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if [it had been] possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. 16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (I have seen so many people turn against their pastors.)

c. His Love goes beyond the faults of the people – vs. 15 (The great apostle loved the Corinthian people in spite of all of their faults and failures. He bestowed much prayer and labor upon them and his time was well spent.)

3. The Pastor’s Longing

a. To be a Blessing to the People – vs. 16-17

2 Corinthians 11:9 And when I was present with you, and wanted, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied: and in all [things] I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and [so] will I keep [myself].

b. To Edify the People – vs. 19

Ephesians 4:12-15 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

c. To keep Unity among the People – vs. 20

Ephesians 4:1-3 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

d. To keep Purity in the Church – vs. 21

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present [you as] a chaste virgin to Christ.

No comments: