Sunday, November 23, 2008

Giving Thanks

Temple Baptist Church - 11-23-2008

Psalm 103:1-22

Introduction:

A. Across our country there is a spirit of ingratitude, high mindedness, and outright idolatry. It masquerades itself as a form of godliness but denies the power thereof. People are prone to complain and look at the bad side of everything. They complain about America and yet live in freedom. They complain about prices and yet have the money to buy. They complain about the government and yet do not vote.

B. As we approach everyday (not just Thanksgiving Day) as dear children of God let each of us remember to give thanks. You and I cannot breathe our next breath without our God and Creator giving us the strength to do so. We need to remember that without Him, we can do nothing, therefore, we are to be grateful.

C. There will be nothing new this morning for we are to be thankful for everything everyday.

Ephesians 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Psalms 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

Psalms 95:1-3 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.

Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

1. Thank God Publicly - Psalms 35:18 I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.

2. Thank God Privately - Psalms 119:62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.

PSALM 103

1. Thank God For Your Salvation - Colossians 1:12-15 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. (If you are saved this morning, you are in the vast minority of people in this world. Heaven instead of Hell! Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

2. Thank God For Your Physical Health - Philippians 2:25-27 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that ministered to my wants. 26 For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick. 27 For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. (Doctors do what they can and God has given to them great knowledge but all healing comes from the Lord! If you are healthy and feel well, you had better be thankful! Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

3. Thank God For A Change of Life - Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

4. Thank God For His Bountiful Provision - 2 Corinthians 9:11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God. (There is food on my table, shoes on my feet, a roof over my head, and gas in my van. Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5. Thank God For His Everlasting Mercy - Psalms 118:1 O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. (God has been a lot better to me than I have been to Him! God has been a lot better to me than I have deserved! Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

Psalms 103:10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

Romans 4:8 Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

6. Thank God For His Providential Care - Psalms 79:13 So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture will give thee thanks for ever: we will shew forth thy praise to all generations. (The Lord has guided my steps beside the still waters and into the green pastures where He restores my soul. My steps are ordered, my path is lit, and my steps are sure. Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

7. Thank God For An Eternal Hope - Psalms 30:12 To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. (All of this and Heaven too! One day just like today, it may be today, I will be finally home! Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me!)

Conclusion: Let us be a thankful people again this year. God has been both good and gracious to us for which I am truly thankful.

No comments: