Temple Baptist Church - 8-27-2008
2 Corinthians 2:1-4, 13-15
A. We have seen the Prophecies of the Apostasy and understand that it was prophesied over 2,000 years ago.
B. We have seen the Period of the Apostasy know that we live in the time of the “falling away.” Deception has been a progressive process as the “god of this world” has continually “blinded the minds” of those “which believe not” “lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”
C. We have seen the People of the Apostasy. Not only the lost but also carnal, immature “babes in Christ” that permeate churches. Even fundamental, Bible believing churches have these babes who are so easily “blown about with every wind of doctrine.”
D. I want to look at the “Prophets of Deception” for a while tonight. They are everywhere! In Seminaries, in churches, sitting on the pews of the local church. Who are they? How did they get in? What do they teach? What is their end? These are good questions that need to be answered. Every good “Wolf Watching Pastor” needs to both recognize these prophets and want their people!
1. These Are Ungodly Men - Jude 3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (Because they deceive the people and destroy the “faith once delivered!” Do not feel sorry for them. Do not protect them. They are enemies of our Lord Jesus Christ and the Gospel!)
2. These Are Satanic Men - 2 Corinthians 11:14-15 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
Acts 13:8-10 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith. 9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him, 10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord? (They work for the wrong “god!” They are not only lost but also belong to Satan! Once again, they are enemies of both God and the Truth!)
3. These Are Ordained Men - Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ordained – designated! This has nothing to do with Calvinism. As God chose Pharaoh because he was reprobate, He also has chosen these men who made their choices.)
a. These Men Choose – A some point in their lives, they rejected the Truth and gave themselves over to fables and science falsely so called.
b. These Men Creep – They slip in a little at a time and gain both power and the confidence of men.
4. These Are Deceived Men - 2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.
5. These Are Charismatic Men - Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. (They are articulate! They have charisma! They are good dressers!)
2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. (Feigned – molded or formed words! Not only are their words articulate but they are also developed through much practice. They not only know what to say but they also know how to say it.)
6. These Are Powerful Men - Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. (Satan has great power and has given his power to these deceivers.)
Acts 8:9-10 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one: 10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God. (The people thought he was of God because of his great power.)
Job 1:16 While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. (Satan ordered this fire, not God!)
Job 1:19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.
Revelation 13:13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
Revelation 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, [which] go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
7. These Are Deceiving Men - 2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
a. Deceiving In Their Persons – “many shall follow” (Few follow truth!)
b. Deceiving In Their Paths – “pernicious (destructive or damnable) ways . . . the way of truth . . . evil spoken of”
1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
c. Deceiving In Their Preaching – “feigned words” (articulate and persuasive)
Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
d. Deceiving In Their Purposes – “make merchandise” (They always get into your pocket book)
Philippians 3: 17-19 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
8. These Are Damned Men – “swift destruction”
a. There Is The Denial Of Salvation – “denying the Lord that bought them” (They claim to know the Lord, but in doctrine they deny Him)
Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
Matthew 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (“Even denying the Lord that bought them!”)
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
b. There Is The Deception Of Self – “whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not” (Because judgment in not instant, they think that they have gotten away with their actions.)
Ecclesiastes 8:10-13 And so I saw the wicked buried, who had come and gone from the place of the holy, and they were forgotten in the city where they had so done: this is also vanity. And so I saw the wicked buried, who had come and gone from the place of the holy, and they were forgotten in the city where they had so done: this is also vanity. Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him: But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he feareth not before God.
c. There Is The Damnation Of Their Soul – “swift destruction . .. slumbereth not” (Hell will be hot for those who knew the truth and turned from it.)
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 Peter 2:3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
2 Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.