Temple Baptist Church - 8-20-2008
2 Corinthians 11:1-4
A. In our first message on “False Teachers,” we saw the prophecies concerning the spiritual deception of these last days. If someone did not believe the Word of God is just that for any other reason, the prophecies concerning these last days should convince the most ardent critic. You can read your newspaper headlines in a Bible written thousands of years ago. They always speak of Nostradamus and his “famous predictions” but never refer to the veracity and faithfulness of the Bible!
B. In our second message on “False Teachers,” we saw the progression of spiritual deception from Satan’s foolishness in Heaven to the end of the Millennium. Satan has had at least 6,000 years to build and perfect his deception of the people to the extent that he has become the “god of this world” instead of the Lord Jesus Christ. People are spiritually deceived by Satan into a false security based upon good works and idols!
C. Tonight, I want to look at the “People of Deception.” Who are these people whom Satan has so completely deceived. Not everyone is deceived in these last days and there are good reason for this. There is simply no excuse for a saved, spiritual child of God falling into the pits of deception that Satan has dug! We have the blessed Holy Spirit—the Author of Truth—living within our hearts as well as the King James Bible—the perfect Word of God—in our hands.
D. Then why are people so deceived and who are they? I believe the answer is both simple and obvious to the believer. It is good to understand that Satan is both subtle and selective. It is not that he does not temp all people but he is wise in his methods of selection. “A chain is only as strong as its weakest link” is an old saying that is true. Though all of us are susceptible to deception because of the sinfulness of our flesh, here are four of his most frequent choices.
1. The Deception Of A Lost World – The world has had the Word of God at one time or the other. In the days of the Apostles, the world was turned upside down as these men of God traveled and preached. Africa has had the Word of God. Asia has had the Word of God. Europe has had the Word of God. South America has had the Word of God. It has touched virtually every continent and island in the world in the past 2, 000 years.
a. They have had the light of Nature - Psalms 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Romans 1:19-21 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
b. They have had the light of Scripture - Jeremiah 8:9 The wise [men] are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom [is] in them?
John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
2. The Deception Of Lost Church Members – I cannot emphasis enough to our people that many of these people who are “gobbled up” by the heretical churches and cults are unredeemed! The Spirit of Truth will lead the believer into all truth! (2 Timothy 3:1-6, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
a. Lost Pew Sitters – Matthew 13:25-27 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
TARE - Any of various weedy plants of the genus Vicia, especially the common vetch. Weedy plants that grow in grain fields. An unwelcome or objectional element
1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. (I understand the interpretation of this verse [antichrists] but application can also be made to these deceived pretenders. Churches are full of lost, baptized members who “heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears.”)
b. Lost Preachers - Matthew 7:21-11 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? (False preachers love false doctrine! “Snuff” said!)
3. The Carnal Believers – There are many (today we can probably safely say most) people who are truly born again who—for various reasons—never come to maturity as believers. No amount of doctrinal teaching penetrates the darkness of their hearts and they eventually either end up in a false doctrinal church or sitting at home watching their favorite televangelist. These can sit in fundamental, Bible believing churches or on the pews of the most liberal, ungodly of churches and feel right at home. Unteachable brethren are “blown about” and become “easy” prey to false doctrine
a. They are controlled by flesh and not by Sprit – Galatians 5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
b. They fail to be “doers of the word” through failing to hear - Zechariah 7:11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear. (I understand that many people have not sat under good, doctrinal preaching but, many have and still fail to grow in the Word. These carnal believers have both the Spirit and the Truth and, yet, have refused to hear.)
Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which [be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Ephesians 4:11-16 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
1 Corinthians 11:17-22 Now in this that I declare [unto you] I praise [you] not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. 18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. 20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper. 21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. 22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
4. The Deception Of Silly Women (This one will get me into trouble for sure! Before you dear ladies get “up in arms” at the preacher, let me explain this point.) –Not all women are “silly!” This is not a description of women in general. The Holy Ghost only specified certain women in this verse. Some of the most spiritual people that I have met in over 20 years of the pastorate have been women. There are women who are godly, Spirit sensitive, knowledgeable, and sincere and are a great asset to both the local church and this pastor.
a. The women of deception - 2 Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, (“Silly” comes from the Greek word “gune” – Sounds like “goony” to me! Notice with me the qualities of these “silly women.”)
1) These are disobedient women – “creep…lead” - 1 Corinthians 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. (They are led by the false teachers instead of their husbands or their pastor. I know that not all women have “spiritual” husbands who can teach and lead them in right doctrine but God also gave these women a pastor!)
2) These are sinful women – “laden with sins…led away with divers lusts” - James 1:14-16 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
b. The reason of deception - 1 Timothy 2:9-14 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (Women are “heart creatures” and allow their emotions to overrule their logic. Homes, government, and churches are in serious jeopardy when led by women! Women who think more about their looks than their lives! They are sensual and seductive but not spiritual!)
Isaiah 3:16-4:1 Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: 17 Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. 18 In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, 19 The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, 20 The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, 21 The rings, and nose jewels, 22 The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, 23 The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. 24 And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. 25 Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy mighty in the war. 26 And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground. 1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.