Temple Baptist Church 8-17-2008
A. We have been studying these verses in light of “abiding” or remaining in the will of God as one of His dear children. In this context, we find the “pruning” of the vine. In verse 2, speaking of the branch that does not bear fruit, we find the words “he taketh away.” I want to look closely at these verses to glean God’s truth concerning believers who are disobedient to God.
B. The Armenian denominations who teach losing one’s salvation love these verses. They try to uphold their doctrine of “falling from grace” through not rightly dividing the Word of Truth in this portion of Scripture.
C. These verses teach just the opposite of “falling from grace.” They teach the doctrines of eternal life and the chastening of the child of God.
D. There are several things that cause these branches to fail to produce and be broken off.
1. Storms Often Break Branches Off
a) God is our stability and protection during the storm but we often fail to turn to Him and become discouraged. and dislodged.
b) Discouragement brings about dislodging and the branch is broken off.
2. Blight Often Destroys The Branches – Sin will destroy the believer and, if he or she does not confess and forsake it, it will bring about their demise.
3. Failing To Produce Brings About Pruning – Unfortunately, some branches are disobedient and are like the “suckers” that we pluck from the vines.
E. Notice several things with me:
1. These Branches Are Truly Saved – vs. 2 “Every branch in me”
a) They Are Branches – Born of the sap of the Vine. The sap is a wonderful type of the Holy Spirit.
b). They Are In Christ Jesus The Vine
2. These Branches Do Not Produce Fruit
a) They Have The Same Source As The Others
b) They Have The Same Capability As The Others
3. These Branches Are Taken Away – vs. 2, 6
a) They Are Taken Away Because Of Their Choice – vs. 6 “If a man”
b) They Are Taken Away By The Husbandman
4. These Branches Are Destroyed Physically – vs. 6
a) They Are Cast Forth By God
b) They Become Withered Because Of Detachment
c) They Become Burned By Men – Pruning is simply chastening.
Hebrews 12:6-7 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
1. Chastening Is A Sign Of God’s Love – “whom the Lord loveth” It Is Done In Love And Not Hate!
Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
2. Chastening Is A Guarantee Of Son-ship – “every son whom he receiveth” –It Is A Product Of Eternal Life!
2 Timothy 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
3. Chastening Is A Purposed Process – “if ye endure chastening” “corrected” –It Removes Sin’s Penalty And Restores Spiritual Fellowship!
Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
4. Chastening Is A Progressive Process – “chasteneth…scourgeth” –You Can Turn Around At Any Time And Do Not Have To Continue In Chastening!
a. Chastisement is a valley of our own making. It is chastisement for sin. - James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Numbers 32:23 But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.
b. Chastisement is a valley whose depth is up to us. It is according to our sin. - 1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1 Corinthians 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
c. Chastisement is a valley whose length is up to us. It is according to our hard headedness. - Hebrews 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. (Chastening turns into scourging.)
d. Chastisement is a valley whose darkness is up to us. In other valleys you find God’s blessing while in this valley you find God’s displeasure. - Hebrews 10:30-31 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Hebrews 12:28-29 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.
e. Chastisement is a valley whose results are up to us.
1) There can be continued and progressive punishment for sin.
2) There can be the restoration of the believer to a place of fellowship.
5. Chastening Is A Blessing – “it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness” – It Is Positive In That It Produces Righteousness And Testimony In The Believer!
Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
Psalms 94:12 Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law;
a. Chastening Removes Sin’s Penalty – (The wages of sin is still death!)
b. Chastening Restores God’s Power – (Sin causes a loss of power with God!)
c. Chastening Regains The God’s Victory – 1 Peter 5:10 But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. (Sin brings about spiritual defeat!)
d. Chastening Renews God’s Favor – (Favor is better than wrath any day!)
e Chastening Revives God’s Peace – (Isaiah 57:21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.)
f. Chastening Re-establishes Worship – (Sin removes the worship of spirit and truth!)
g. Chastening Re-affirms God’s Word – (What God promises God delivers!)
h. Chastening Removes The Unrepentant! – (Sin’s end is still death. Do not err, my beloved brethren!)