Temple Baptist Church 2-13-2008
2 Corinthians 5:9-20
A. There are several “missions” of the local church.
1. There is the mission of Exhortation - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
2. There is the mission of Edification - Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
3. There is the mission of Teaching - Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.
4. There is the mission of Evangelization - Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
B. I want to deal with personal evangelization tonight. The local church is called to evangelize the world by carrying the message of the gospel to every precious soul on the face of the earth! HOW IMPORTANT IS ONE SOUL?
C. We send the missionary to fields that are out of our personal reach and what an important arm of the local church that is! If every church would do its part, the world could be reached with the message of salvation.
D. Then, there is personal evangelization, whether it be organized visitation that is house to house or individuals who give our a gospel witness or gospel tract.
1. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Righteousness - Proverbs 11:30a The fruit of the righteous [is] a tree of life;
2. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Wisdom – Proverbs 11:30b and he that winneth souls [is] wise.
Daniel 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
3. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Obedience - Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
4. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Discernment- John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and [then] cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
5. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Cooperation - John 4:36-38 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together. 37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. 38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.
1 Corinthians 3:5-9 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. 9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.
6. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Willingness - Matthew 9:37-38 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly [is] plenteous, but the labourers [are] few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
7. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Sacrifice - 1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all [men], yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,)that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
8. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Priority - 1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
9. Soul Winning Is A Sign Of Spiritual Compassion - James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
WHAT MAKES A SOUL-WINNER?
1. The Soul Winner Acknowledges His Debt To Humanity - Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (Someone either shared or preached the gospel to us. Now we are going to Heaven because of their witness.)
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Acts 26:17-18 Delivering thee from the people, and [from] the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
2. The Soul Winner Has A Desire To Please God - 2 Corinthians 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. (Andrew Murray once said, “There are two classes of Christians: soul winners and backsliders.”)
Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
Hebrews 13:16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.
3. A Soul Winner Knows The Worth Of A Soul - Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? (What is the worth of your soul?)
Psalms 49:8 (For the redemption of their soul [is] precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
1 Peter 1:8-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, [as] silver and gold, from your vain conversation [received] by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
4. A Soul Winner Esteems His Heavenly Reward - Hebrews 11:26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. (It is either Reward or Regret!)
Matthew 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
5. A Soul Winner Recognizes The Reward Of The Wicked - 1 Peter 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God? (Imagine the unimaginable! The Lake of Fire forever.)
2 Corinthians 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
6. A Soul Winner Has An Unfailing Love For The Lord - 2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: (To love the Lord is to love what the Lord loves!)
Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
1 Timothy 1:15 This [is] a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
7. A Soul Winner Has Compassion Upon The Lost - Psalms 142:4 I looked on [my] right hand, and beheld, but [there was] no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. (What a sad commentary! We pass the lost every day and neither take notice nor even care.)
Jude 21-23 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
8. A Soul Winner Has A Commission - 2 Corinthians 5:18-21 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (Soul winning is a command of the Lord! Matthew 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.)
Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.