Temple Baptist Church - 2-10-2008
A. The Model Prayer consists of several aspects:
1. There is the establishment of relationship and the recognition of who God is..
2. Then, the Psalmist praises the name of God as he declares, “Hallowed by thy name!”
3. There is a petition for the ultimate return of our Lord and the setting up of His kingdom.
4. There is a petition for God’s will to be done perfectly on earth as it is in Heaven.
5. There is a petition for the necessities of life.
6. There is a petition for the forgiveness of our debtors.
7. There is a petition for the protection from all evil, both known and unknown.
8. The Model Prayer ends with a doxology of praise.
B. I want to break this down over the next few weeks and pray that it will be a blessing to God’s people.
C. Our Lord begins his doxology with the words "For Thine is the Kingdom." These words set forth God’s universal right and authority over all things, by which He disposes of them according to His pleasure.
This involves two things:
1. A Declaration Of Divine Ownership - Thine and Thine alone! The Earth Is The Lord’s!
a. Deuteronomy 10:14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens [is] the LORD’S thy God, the earth [also], with all that therein [is].
b. Psalms 89:11 The heavens [are] thine, the earth also [is] thine: [as for] the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.
1) All that is in Earth is the Lord’s! He owns all of the riches under the earth. He owns all of the gold, the silver, the platinum, the tin, the copper, the uranium, the diamonds, the sapphires, the rubies, the emeralds, every beautiful and precious stone, the coal and the oil, the dirt and the artesian wells of waters that spring up. It is all His!
2) He owns, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Mr. Chavez—He owns Venezuela!, Alaska, every piece of off-shore shale! America, if you would take care of God’s business of missions by honoring Him with the firstfruits of all that He has given to you, God would “supply all your need according to his riches in Glory by Christ Jesus!”
3) He owns the very fires of Hell! He created it for the devil and his angels. Hell is His!
4) ALL that is in the Earth is His!
2. A Declaration Of Divine Authority - Thine and Thine alone!
a. He controls the heavens! Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.
Psalms 147:4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by [their] names.
Joel 2:10 The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining:
b. He controls all the Earth! Exodus 9:29 And Moses said unto him, As soon as I am gone out of the city, I will spread abroad my hands unto the LORD; [and] the thunder shall cease, neither shall there be any more hail; that thou mayest know how that the earth [is] the LORD’S.
c. He controls all of nature – Nahum 1:3-4a The LORD [is] slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit [the wicked]: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds [are] the dust of his feet. 4a He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers:
Job 37:6 For he saith to the snow, Be thou [on] the earth; likewise to the small rain, and to the great rain of his strength.
Job 37:10 By the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straitened.
Job 38:22 Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail,
Psalms 78:47 He destroyed their vines with hail, and their sycomore trees with frost.
Psalms 148:8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapour; stormy wind fulfilling his word:
d. He controls all of the animal and plant life! Numbers 22:28 And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
Mark 11:13-14 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet]. 14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard [it].
e. He controls government!
1) He raises men up! Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
2) He plucks men down! Acts 12:21-23 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. 22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. 23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
f. He controls circumstances. James 4:13-15 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
g. He controls destiny! Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
h. He controls Hell! Matthew 3:12 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
1) He controls the perpetuality of it. Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
2) He controls the inhabitants of it! Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Conclusion: He is God! He is the Lord! He is Sovereign! God is Supreme Sovereign in creation, providence, and grace. He reigns over heaven and earth, all creatures and things being under His full control. WHAT DO YOU NEED THIS MORNING! It is all His!