Sunday, October 1, 2023

Who Is Our Lord?

Temple Baptist Church - 10-1-2023

Psalm 18:1-3

 

Introduction:

 

A.  Psalm 18 is one of some length as it describes many of the things that the Lord had done for David in deliverance.  The words of the introduction speak volumes about David’s past enemies that were now no longer.

 

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, who spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul: And he said,

 

B.  During the early years of King David’s life, he faced one hard place after another, especially after being anointed King by Samuel while Saul continued on the throne of Israel.

 

C.  This Psalm begins with David’s perception of Who the Lord was while the middle of the Psalm gives an account of What the Lord did.

 

1.  Verse one begins after the words “And he said.”  I want to look at the first 3 verses tonight as David speaks of the Person of the Lord.

 

a.  The Expression of David’s love is found here.  “I will love thee, O LORD”

 

b.  The Intensity of David’s love is found here.  David’s love for the Lord was one of great fervency. 

 

1 Peter 4:8  And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.  (As our love for one another needs to be fervent, how much more our love for Christ.)

 

c.  The Fervency of David’s love is found here – passionate, intense.  More than a simple “I love you” not backed up action.  “Don’t just tell me that you love me, show me that you love me.”  Love is more than emotion as emotions change; love is an action that expresses the words “I love you.”

 

d.  The Continuance of David’s love is found here.  David did love the Lord but used a future tense word here:  “I WILL love thee, O LORD”  David not knowing what the future held but promised his love would remain.  “For richer or poorer, in sickness or in health, for better or for worse, till death do us part.”

 

2.  Verse one ends with Who the Lord is.

 

a.  “My Rock”  The Lord is my Stability.  The Lord cannot be either moved nor removed.  He is that He is expressed many times in the “I Am” found in the Bible.  “I AM THAT I AM” is our Rock.

 

Isaiah 12:2  Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

 

b.  “My Fortress”  The Lord is our Safety.  We can run to Him and He hides us.  Proverbs 18:10  The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

 

Psalm 18:2  The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. 

 

c.  “My Deliverer”  The Lord is our Saviour!  He delivers us from the penalty and person of sin. He has delivered us from the power of sin and one day and what a glorious day that will be; He will deliver us from the presence of sin.

 

Isaiah 43:3  For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.

 

Luke 2:11  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

 

Titus 2:13  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

 

d.  “My God”  The Lord is our Sovereign.  Colossians 1:16-17  For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:  (17)  And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

 

Jeremiah 32:17  Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

 

e.  “My Strength”  The Lord is our Strength.  When we are overwhelmed; when we are tired; when we are confused; when we are disappointed; when we are discouraged; when we are in the valleys of life, He is all we need.

                              

Isaiah 40:29-31  He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.  (30)  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:  (31)  But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

 

2 Corinthians 12:9-10  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

 

f.  “My Buckler.  He is our Shield.  This does not mean that there will not be hard times in life but the Lord is our shield from 

 

Genesis 15:1  After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

 

g.  “My Horn of Salvation”  The Lord is our Steadfastness.  Holding on to the “horns of the altar.”

 

Hebrews 10:23  Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

 

h.  “My High Tower”  The Lord is our Sanctuary.  A place of peace and rest from which you view the world differently from down here in the nasty now and now.

 

Matthew 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

No comments: