Sunday, October 8, 2023

The Lord Is My Rock

Temple Baptist Church - 10-8-2023

Psalm 18:1-2

 

Introduction: 

 

A.  I want to take a look at the phrase “The LORD is my rock” again tonight.  As David praised the Lord for His faithfulness, he began with that phrase.  If the Lord is not our Rock, then our standing remains in jeopardy.

 

1.  This statement is the foundation for every other thing we looked at last week in verses 1-2.    If the foundation moves, then every other promise is subject to move also.

 

Psalms 11:3  If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?

 

2.  “On Christ the Solid Rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand!”  So many denominations and individuals stand on the sinking sand of religion, personal experience, the opinions of men, and all these are sinking sand.

 

3.  If the Rock moves, the walls crack, and the house comes down!

 

B.  The Lord is the Rock of Institutions.

 

1.  The Lord is the Rock of Israel.  2 Samuel 23:3  The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.

 

2.  The Lord is the Rock of the Church.  Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

 

3.  The Lord is the Rock of the Home.  Matthew 7:24-25  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:  (25)  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

 

4.  The Lord is the Rock of the Individual.  David said, “The LORD is my rock!”  Psalms 40:2  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

 

C.  The Lord Jesus Christ is our Rock?

 

1.  The Lord is the Rock of  Our Salvation.  2 Samuel 22:47  The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.  (Our salvation is Rock Solid.)

 

2.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Truth.  Deuteronomy 32:4  He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

 

3.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Security.  Psalms 40:2  He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

 

4.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Protection.  Exodus 33:21-22  And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:  (22)  And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

 

5.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Defense.  Psalms 62:6  He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.

 

6.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Refuge.  Psalms 94:22  But the LORD is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.

 

7.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Strength.  Isaiah 17:10  Because thou hast forgotten the God of thy salvation, and hast not been mindful of the rock of thy strength, therefore shalt thou plant pleasant plants, and shalt set it with strange slips:

 

8.  The Lord is the Rock of Our Supply.  Exodus 17:6  Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.

 

Conclusion:

 

1.  He is our one and only ROCK!  1 Samuel 2:2  There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

 

2.  He is our Corner Stone.  1 Peter 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

 

3.  To the unsaved He is the Rock of Offense.  Isaiah 8:14  And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

No comments: