Sunday, August 27, 2023

Precious in the Sight of the Lord is the Death of His Saints

 Temple Baptist Church - 8-27-2023

Psalm 116:3, 15

 

Introduction:

 

A.  In this prayer to God, we find death mentioned twice.  Death is an event that each of us will one day face if our Lord has come for His church in our lifetime. 

 

B.  In verse 3 we find the Human Perspective of death. 

 

Psalms 116:3  The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

 

Hebrews 2:15  And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage

 

1.  Sorrow.  No one like to either face leaving family and friends nor losing family and friends to death.  The Bible uses the phrase “the house of mourning.”  There are normal tears of sorrow and sense of tremendous loss in death.

 

2.  Suffering.  I have often said that I do not mind death so much but certainly do not look forward to the process.  Watching a loved one slowly decline before succumbing to death can be a horrible thing.

 

3.  Helplessness.  To die or see someone die knowing that no power on earth can prevent it and there is nothing that you can do.  Just watch and wait. 

 

Ecclesiastes 8:8  There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it. 

 

4.  Hopelessness.  For the unsaved, there is no hope beyond the grave.  Little do they know that there is eternal hopelessness for those who die outside of Christ and spend an eternity in a devil’s hell.

 

5.  Separation.  To lose a mate whom you have spend a lifetime with; to lose a child or grandchild whom you love with all your heart; to lose a parent or sibling; to lose a close friend.  The thought of separation for even a short time on earth brings about great loss and sorrow.

 

C.  In verse 15, we find God’s Perspective of the death of His saints.  Notice that I clarified “His saints” because God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

 

Ezekiel 33:11  Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

 

1.  PRECIOUS!  Of great value!  Psalms 116:15  Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

 

2.  Beauty.  Ecclesiastes 3:11  He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

 

3.  Desire.  Job 14:15  Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands.

 

D.  The Saint’s Perspective of Death should be ours.  I want to encourage you tonight because we meet often because of the death of loved ones or friends.  The Bible View of death is so much different for God’s children.  We cannot lose that which is not lost!

 

E.  Several Views of the death of the saints are found in the Bible.

 

1.  David’s View.  Psalms 23:4  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  (Shadow of death used 20 times in your Bible.)

 

a.  The Comparison – “shadow”  Shadows cannot hurt.

 

b.  The Confidence – “fear no evil”  No fear of dying.

 

c.  The Companionship – “art with me”  Not alone in the crossing.

 

d.  The Comfort – “rod . . . staff . . . comfort me”  Protection and comfort.

 

2.  Paul’s View.  Philippians 1:20-23  According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.  (21)  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  (22)  But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.  (23)  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

 

a.  Magnification in death, not Fear.  Boldness in death.

 

b.  Realization in death, not Loss.  Gain in death.

 

c.  Glorification in death.  Far better, not much worse. 

 

3.  Revelation’s View of Death.  Rev 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

 

          a.  There Is Redemption – “die in the Lord”

 

          b.  There Is Rest – “rest from their labours”

 

          c.  There Is Reward – “their works do follow them.

No comments: