Sunday, August 6, 2023

A New Life in Christ

 Temple Baptist Church - 8-6-2023

Psalm 16

 

Introduction:

 

A.  The beginning of the Psalm says “Michtam of David”.  These words are found in the headings of 6 Psalms: 16, 56. 57. 58. 59, 60.  There is a lot of discussion about the word “Michtam”.  From this name, many refer to Psalm 16 as “The Golden Psalm”.

 

B.  “Michtam” means to carve or to engrave, thus giving its meaning as a Psalm to be set up as a monument because of its monumental nature.  Thus, making these Psalms of great importance.  Not just write these psalms but engrave them!

 

C.  Verses 1-4 – David’s Praise of God.

 

D.  Verses 5-9 – David’s Perception of God.

 

1.  Verse 5 – The Lord is my Portion.

 

2.  Verse 7 – The Lord is my Counselor.

 

3.  Verse 8 – The Lord is my Anchor.

 

4.  Verse 9 – The Lord is my Gladness, Glory, and Grace.

 

E.  Verses 10-11 – David’s Pleasing with God.

 

F.  Psalm 16, as many other Psalms in your Bible, is Messianic: relating or referring to the coming Messiah.  In the last two verses of the Psalm, we find the gospel: the death, burial, and resurrection.  

 

Psalms 16:10-11  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (11)  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

 

G.  This is prophetic of the new birth of the believer found in Romans, chapter 6.

 

Romans 6:1-5  What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?  (2)  God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?  (3)  Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?  (4)  Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.  (5)  For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

 

H.  The likeness of His resurrection is found in both the physical and spiritual realms.

 

1.  The physical realm as our bodies will one day be changed when Jesus comes for His church.  “Ain’t no grave gonna keep my body down.”

 

2.  The spiritual realm as our spiritual resurrection changes the life of the believer and is described here in verse 11.

 

J.  Tonight, I want to look at three aspects of the new life in Christ Jesus that is available to each of us in this life.

 

1.  His Path – “Thou wilt show me the path of life.”

 

a.  An Individual Path - Hebrews 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

 

b.  A Biblical Path - Psalms 119:105  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

 

c.  A Plain Path - Psalms 27:11  Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

 

d.  A Proven Path - Jeremiah 6:16  Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

 

e.  A Providential Path - Psalms 77:19  Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known.

 

2.  His Presence.  in thy presence is fulness of joy”

 

a.  A Place of Great Privilege - Hebrews 13:5  Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

 

b.  A Place of Great Protection - Isaiah 43:1-2  But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.  (2)  When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

 

c.  A Place of Great Joy - Psalms 28:7  The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

 

3.  His Pleasure – “at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”

 

a.  A Pleasure In This Life – Isaiah 12:2-3  Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.  (3)  Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.

 

b.  A Pleasure In The Life to Come – Jude 24  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

No comments: