Temple Baptist Church - 4-30-2023
A. One of the greatest enemies of God’s people is that of discouragement. This Psalm is Davidic. Here we find once again the “man after mine own heart” discouraged. Though he understood the goodness and graciousness of God (verses 5-6), he is discouraged.
1. Verse 3 is the key verse in the Psalm as David asks God to “lighten mine eyes.” This means that David knows that his perception is off because God is always good to His children.
2. When Holy Spirit spoke of the trial of our faith “being much more precious than gold that perisheth” in 1 Peter 1:7, it was because we do not naturally see our trials in this perspective.
3. Why do God’s people get discouraged when He is meeting our every need? Because we see the situation instead of the Saviour.
B. What are the major causes of discouragement?
1. Discouraged because of the Foe. Satan is relentless! He does not slow down, give up, or take a vacation.
2. Discouraged because of the Fight. Life is hard so get used to it! Job spoke of this. Job 14:1-2 Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (2) He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
3. Discouraged because of the Flesh. Our flesh is sinful and weak. Too often, we give into it and fail of the grace of God.
4. Discouraged because of the Future. We are so disappointed at the sinfulness and godlessness that surrounds us. We also know that things will wax worse and worse because the Bible says that it will be so.
C. Three things concerning discouragement:
1. Discouragement Is Sin
2. Discouragement Is Infectious
3. Discouragement Is Curable
D. Where we will not find encouragement:
1. You Will Not Find Encouragement In Circumstances (though they may improve temporarily, they will continue to change).
2. You Will Not Find Encouragement In Human Reason (the world has no spiritual answers).
3. You Will Not Find Encouragement In Self-Pity (this will only cause the trial to deepen).
E. Where do we find encouragement?
1. You Will Find Encouragement In The Lord - 1 Samuel 30:6 And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
a. There Is Encouragement In His Person - Habakkuk 3:17-18 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
b. There Is Encouragement In His Presence - Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
c. There Is Encouragement In His Power - Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.
d. There Is Encouragement In His Purpose - Philippians 4:12-13 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
2 Corinthians 1:9 But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:
e. There Is Encouragement In His Protection - 2 Corinthians 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;
2. You Will Find Encouragement In the Word - Psalms 119:28 My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word.
a. There Is Encouragement In Its Promises - Deuteronomy 1:21 Behold, the LORD thy God hath set the land before thee: go up and possess it, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear not, neither be discouraged.
b. There Is Encouragement In Its Preaching - Hebrews 13:22 And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.
2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3. You Will Find Encouragement In The Church - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
a. There Is Encouragement In Your Pastor
1) To Continue - Deuteronomy 3:28 But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him: for he shall go over before this people, and he shall cause them to inherit the land which thou shalt see.
2) To Contend - Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
3) To Conform - Titus 2:11-15 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
b. There Is Encouragement In Your People
1) There Is Visual Encouragement - Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (It encourages me just to see them!)
2) There Is Vocal Encouragement - Hebrews 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. (It encourages me just to hear them!)
Post a Comment