Sunday, April 2, 2023

A Soul at Peace

 Temple Baptist Church - 4-2-2023

Psalm 62

 

Introduction:

 

A.  There is no history with the Psalm and that is a good thing. 

 

1.  In many of the Psalms, we find that they were written when the author was overwhelmed by troubles that try the soul. 

 

2.  In verses 3-4, we find that David has enemies but has no fear of what they can do or say.

 

B.  Here, we find that the soul is at peace, resting wholly in confidence in the Lord.  This is what I want to look at tonight.

 

C.  David begins this Psalm with the word,

 

1.  “Truly.”  We can say that we are resting in the Lord when we are not totally committed to His will or His work.  Truly is a particle of affirmation.  It means to be firm, to be sure, veracity (verily).

 

2.  “my soul”  Not his flesh but his soul, the seat of his affections, his being.  When our soul rests, our rest is complete.  So many times my mind refuses to “lay down” at night because of things that bother me.  “A clear conscience makes for a soft pillar” is a phrase that I have heard but also a clear mind that is based upon a resting soul does the same.

 

3.  “waiteth upon God”  Open ended waiting is a hard thing.  We do not know what tomorrow may bring and often our waiting is open ended.  David waiteth upon God.  The “eth” ending of the word “wait” expresses contentment in waiting.

 

4.  “from Him cometh my salvation”  David faith in deliverance comes from knowing the God of deliverance.

 

D.  The key words of the Psalm are found in verse 2.  “He only!”

 

1.  I thank God for faithful people, but they are but flesh and therefore fallible.

 

Psalms 118:8-9  It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.  (9)  It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

 

2.  “He only” is a state of complete confidence and trust.  If He will never leave nor forsake us, and He will not.  If He compasses every aspect of our lives and He does.  If He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, and He is.  If He loves us, has compassion upon us, and He does.  Then we need to have complete confidence and, therefore rest in Him!

 

Proverbs 3:5-6  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  (6)  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

 

E.  David’s confidence:

 

1.  Verse 2.  He only is our rock and our salvation.  Not a pebble, not a stone, not a boulder, but a rock.  Our Rock of Gibraltar!  An unmovable Rock. 

 

a.  The Rock of our Salvation. 1 Peter 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

 

b.  The Rock of the Church.  Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

 

2.  Verse 5.  He only is our expectation. 

 

a.  The  Hope of our Protection.  Jeremiah 17:7  Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

 

b.  The Hope of our Expectation.  Titus 2:13  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;  (All is well that ends well!)

 

3.  Verse 6.  He only is our defense.  The Rock of my strength; the Rock of my Refuge.

 

a.  My strength when I am weak, He is strong.  2 Corinthians 12:9-10  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

 

b.  My Refuge when I am in trouble.  Psalms 32:7  Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

 

4.  Verse 7-12.  He only is our All-In-All.  My salvation, my glory, my rock, my strength, my refuge, and my God.

 

a.  Verses 7-10.  We can Trust His Person.  We can trust the Lord in every circumstance of life.  Job 23:10-12  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  (11)  My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.  (12)  Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

 

b.  Verses 11-12.  We can Trust His Power.  “Power belongeth unto God”  God can do anything, any time, and anywhere.  Luke 1:37  For with God nothing shall be impossible.

 

Genesis 18:14  Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

 

Jeremiah 32:17  Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:

 

 

Conclusion:  Psalms 37:7  Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

No comments: