Sunday, March 7, 2021

Saved And Loving It!

Temple Baptist Church - 3-7-2021

Philippians 3:7-11

 

Introduction:

 

A.  As the great Apostle Paul writes to the believers at Philippi, he is imprisoned.  The Book of Philippians is often called “Jailhouse Joy.”

 

B.  The key verse of the book is “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.” (Philippians 4:4)  Circumstances are not to dictate our joy or rejoicing; our joy and rejoicing are despite our trials of life.

 

C.  God wants His children to be happy people.  So often, when witnessing to a lost person, they give the impression of experiencing that of a mother giving their children a dose of Castor Oil! 

 

D.  Paul said, “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say Rejoice.”  The second “Rejoice” is also capitalized because it is an exclamatory one-word sentence.  REJOICE!

 

E.  Paul exhorts God’s children he encourages them to love life; to love living for Christ; to look forward to being with Christ!  Our greatest joy in life will be found in Christ Jesus.

 

Philippians 1:20-23  According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.  (21)  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  (22)  But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.  (23)  For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

 

1.  To know for sure that you are in Christ: Verse 9 – “be found in Him”  Faith and not of works.  Our spiritual life will be based upon our personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

 

John 1:1-5  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  (2)  The same was in the beginning with God.  (3)  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.  (4)  In him was life; and the life was the light of men.  (5)  And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

 

1 Corinthians 3:10-12  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.  (11)  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  (12)  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

 

2.  To grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ: Verse 10 – “That I may know Him”  Do not stay a babe in Christ.

 

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

 

Ephesians 4:14-15  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;  (15)  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

 

3.  To have experienced the change that comes through Christ: Verse 10 – “the power of His resurrection”  I know that we hear this verse often but what a blessing to have3 experienced it.

 

2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

 

Ephesians 2:10  For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

 

4.  To suffer with Christ and for Christ: Verse 10 – “the fellowship of His sufferings”

 

2 Timothy 3:12  Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

 

2 Timothy 2:12  If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

 

5.  To daily die for Christ: Verse 10 – “being made conformable unto His death”  As He gave all for us, may our lives reflect Him.  To be like Him.

 

1 Corinthians 15:31  I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

 

1 Corinthians 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

 

Luke 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

 

6.  To ultimately be with Him: Verse 11 – “the resurrection of the dead”  Then we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is!  Finally, home!

 

Colossians 3:1-4  If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  (2)  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.  (3)  For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.  (4)  When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

No comments: