Sunday, March 14, 2021

Holding Up Your Pastor’s Hands

 Temple Baptist Church - 3-14-2021

Exodus 17:9-16

 

Introduction: 

 

A.  The Amalekites were the perpetual enemies of Israel.  They ALWAYS fought them.  The Amalekites are a type of both the devil, the world, and our flesh in this regard. 

 

B.  This passage is an excellent example of the church/pastor relationship. Just as Israel needed Moses, the church needs a pastor.  But just as Moses needed Aaron and Hur, the pastor needs men to hold up his hands. 

 

C.  This is a message of how much we need one another at Temple Baptist Church.  The pastor needs the people as much, if not more, than they need him.  Our is a reciprocal relationship.  I want to look at the story for a minute and then draw some biblical conclusions that we help our church.

 

          1.  The War

 

a)  Against The Flesh -  Romans 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

 

b)  Against The Devil - Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

 

          2.  The Weariness

 

a)  God’s People Get Weary - 2 Thessalonians 3:13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.

 

b)  God’s Preachers Get Weary - Jeremiah 20:7-9  O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me. 8  For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily. 9  Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

 

          3.  The Warning

 

a)  The People Could Not Prevail Without God’s Preacher - Matthew 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

 

B)  The Preacher Could Not Persevere Without God’s People - Romans 16:1-6  I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: 2  That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also. 3  Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: 4  Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. 5  Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my wellbeloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ. 6  Greet Mary, who bestowed much labour on us.

 

          4.  The Winning – Together they overcame Amalek!

 

                    a)  Israel Needed Moses During The Battle

 

                    b)  Moses Needed Israel During The Battle

 

          5.  The Witness – vs. 14-15

 

a)  God’s Men Need To Realize It – “Rehearse it in the ears of Joshua!” 

 

b)  God’s People Need To Realize It – “And Moses built an altar”

 

D.  It is important that the pastor realize his importance to the spiritual well being of his people.

 

          1.  Moses Guided Them – vs. 9

          2.  Moses Watched Over Them – vs. 10

          3.  Moses Prayed For Them – vs. 11

E.  It is important that God’s people realize their importance to the spiritual well being of their pastor. 

          1.  Aaron And Hur Accompanied Him – vs. 10

          2.  Aaron And Hur Comforted Him – vs. 12

          3.  Aaron And Hur Steadied Him – vs. 12

          4.  Aaron And Hur Stayed With Him – vs. 12

    

Ecclesiastes 4:7 –12   Then I returned, and I saw vanity under the sun. 8  There is one alone, and there is not a second; yea, he hath neither child nor brother: yet is there no end of all his labour; neither is his eye satisfied with riches; neither saith he, For whom do I labour, and bereave my soul of good? This is also vanity, yea, it is a sore travail. 9  Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. 10  For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11  Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12  And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

 

1.  You Need To Hold Up Your Pastor In Prayer – You pray for me as I pray for you!

 

          a.  I pray for you and your individual needs.

 

          b.  You pray for me and my individual needs.

 

2.  You Need To Hold Up Your Pastor In Encouragement – Do not always have to be encouraged, but be an encouragement!

 

          a.  We find our encouragement in the Lord.

 

          b.  We also find our encouragement in each other.

 

3.  You Need To Hold Up Your Pastor In Faithfulness – You be as faithful to me as I am to you!

 

          a.  You do not have to come find me at services times.

 

          b.  You be as faithful as you can be to attend.

 

4.  You Need To Hold Up Your Pastor In Service – Help with both the physical and spiritual work of the ministry!

 

          a.  There are things that need to be done at the church.

 

          b.  There are people to be called and visited.

 

          c.  There is a gospel to be shared.

 

5.  You Need To Hold Up Your Pastor In Battle – Be there for me when trouble comes.  I will be there for you!

 

          a.  There will be times when you are in trouble.

 

          b.  There will be times when I am in trouble.

No comments: