Temple Baptist Church - 10-31-2018
A. No one has physically seen our Lord Jesus Christ since the days of the apostles. Our Lord’s last appearances were post-resurrection, and with the completion of the Cannon of Scripture, He has never left the right hand of the Father in heaven.
B. “But we see Jesus!” We do see Jesus through the Scriptures and our spiritual eyes of faith! And we have believed and been blessed.
John 20:27-29 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. (28) And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (29) Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
C. Unfortunately, in the good times, we do not see Jesus spiritually in our lives as we bask in the glory of peaceful lives of fulness. It is easy to become apathetic and lukewarm in these days of fulness of bread. These are “fat days,” but spiritually dangerous ones.
Psalms 106:12-15 Then believed they his words; they sang his praise. (13) They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: (14) But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert. (15) And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul. (Fat bodies make for lean souls!)
D. Fulness of bread and idleness of the hands also leads to sinfulness of the soul! These last days are characterized by being like the days of Noe and Lot!
Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. (These conditions led up to the society of Sodom in Genesis 19 that caused our Lord to destroy the cities of the plains.
E. It is the valleys that we grow and in the times of testing that we “see Jesus!” We do not see Him physically, but we do see Him.
1 Peter 1:7-8 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: (8) Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
F. We see Jesus despite our circumstances. We see Jesus in our circumstances!
Habakkuk 3:17-19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: (18) Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. (19) The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.
1. We See Jesus In Salvation – Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
2. We See Jesus When We Are Fearful – Mark 6:47-51 And when even was come, the ship was in the midst of the sea, and he alone on the land. (48) And he saw them toiling in rowing; for the wind was contrary unto them: and about the fourth watch of the night he cometh unto them, walking upon the sea, and would have passed by them. (49) But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out: (50) For they all saw him, and were troubled. And immediately he talked with them, and saith unto them, Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid. (51) And he went up unto them into the ship; and the wind ceased: and they were sore amazed in themselves beyond measure, and wondered.
2. We See Jesus When We Are In Need Of Grace – 1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
3. We See Jesus When We Are Troubled – Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. (4) Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
4. We See Jesus When We Lack Assurance – Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
5. We See Jesus When We Need Guidance – James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6. We See Jesus When We Lose Our Song – Psalms 42:7-8 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. (8) Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
7. We See Jesus When We Are Ready To Die – Acts 7:55-56 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, (56) And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.