Temple Baptist Church - 2-21-2018
2 Peter 2:1-3
A. Satan hates the Word of God above all things because it is the basis for both salvation and spiritual growth.
1. God called the Word of God that is in hand a “more sure word.” There has been a concerted effort over the past 120 years to destroy the faith of God’s children in His Word.
2. The Bible is the foundation for all that we believe about God, Jesus Christ, salvation, heaven, and doctrine—therefore, Satan has concentrated his attack upon it.
B. Cunningly Devised is one word in the Greek and means:
1) to make wise, teach
2) to become wise, to have understanding
2a) to invent, play the sophist
2b) to devise cleverly or cunningly
C. A man is only as good as his word and the same can be said about the Lord. To destroy one’s confidence in the Bible is to destroy one’s confidence in God.
D. The attack upon the Bible is blatantly wicked!
1. The Attack Is Devilish In Nature - Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2. The Attack Is Diverse In Nature – there are many way in which Satan attacks the Bible:
3. The Attack Is Deceptive In Nature – It preys upon biblical ignorance.
4. The Attack Is Divisive In Nature – It divides the body of Christ.
5. The Attack Is Destructive In Nature – It thwarts the work of the church and damns sinners.
E. Let us look, at some of the tools used in attacking the Bible.
1. The Tool Of Intellectualism - 2 Peter 1:16-17 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
1 Corinthians 2:1-5 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
2. The Tool Of Dishonesty - 2 Corinthians 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God.
3. The Tool Of Textual Criticism - 2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
Jeremiah 36:22-24 Now the king (Jehoiakim) sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him. And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth. Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words.
4. The Tool Of Deception - Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.
5. The Tool Of Confusion - 2 Thessalonians 2:1-2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, andby our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
1 Timothy 4:7 But refuse profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
Titus 1:14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.