Temple Baptist Church - 4-10-2016
A. So often, I use what is called the Principle of First Mention in both my personal Bible study and also in my sermon preparation.
1. If you want to know where God stands on that particular subject, then you must accept what God says in the Bible concerning it. When studying a certain topic, you need to look at the continuous thread throughout the Bible and begin with the first mention of that particular subject.
2. This morning, I want to reestablish the importance of your home or any home. God’s Word has declared marriage to be honorable in all. It is a divine institution, ordained of God in the Garden of Eden between the first man and woman. Marriage is God’s institution as He established it.
3. Its parameters are simple: one man, one woman, for a lifetime. Simple enough? I know the world does not like what God says on the subject but, as His children, it is important to you and I.
B. In Gods order, we find the importance of the home. It was the first institution that God ordained!
Genesis 1:27-28, 31 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth … (31) And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
C. Genesis 2 begins with the Seventh Day. All is now finished and nothing to be added to it. In Genesis 2:4, God continues to give description to all that He had done in days 1-6. In verses 21-25, the Lord gives more detail concerning the marriage and home that He instituted in chapter 1. God had already declared it very good.
D. In the New Testament, our Lord selected the marriage to be the emblem of the union that binds together Himself and His own ransomed Bride, the Church. ** (Eph 5:22-33)
1. The Home Is Important To Our Spouses (a haven of peace and rest in a wicked and weary world)
2. The Home Is Important To Our Children (a nest of safety, stability, provision, and instruction)
3. The Home Is Important To Our Churches (a type of the relationship of Jesus Christ to His Church)
4. The Home is Important To Our Nation (a stabilizing force in unstable days)
5. The Home is Important To The Lord (He established it in wisdom)
E. The Establishment Of The Home:
1. The Home: A Place Of Companionship “It is not good that the man should be alone”
Ecclesiastes 4:9-11 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?
2. The Home: A Place Of Divine Order “I will make him an help meet”
1 Corinthians 11:3, 7-9 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God … For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
3. The Home: A Place Of Completion “An help meet for him”
Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
1 Corinthians 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
4. The Home: A Place Of Oneness “He took one of his ribs … bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh”
1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
5. The Home: A Place Of Approval “Brought her unto the man”
Genesis 1:27-28 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
6. The Home: A Place Of Separation “Leave his father and his mother”
Proverbs 5:18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
Genesis 24:58-59 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go. And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham’s servant, and his men.
7. The Home: A Place Of Cleaving “Cleave unto his wife” (to stick with or to stay close to)
Matthew 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Romans 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
8. The Home: A Place Of Union “They shall be one flesh”
Ephesians 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Genesis 4:25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
9. The Home: A Place Of Beauty “And were not ashamed”
Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. (Intimacy outside of marriage is dirty, defiling, and to be hidden in the dark – Intimacy in the marriage is beautiful and fulfilling.)