Temple Baptist Church - 2-2-2014
1 Peter 5:5-11
A. You and I need to be reminded of the goodness and grace of God to you and me as sinful people. It is of His mercies that we are not consumed and I thank God that His compassions fail not: they are new every morning. The Lord knows our weaknesses and is more than ready to forgive when we fail.
B. Along with His and mercy, I was reminded of His marvelous grace toward His children. The Lord, He is good! What a statement of character! What a promise to those who have come to Him by faith. His goodness is manifested in many ways: His provision, protection, guidance, companionship, promises, and His wonderful grace!
C. Man has always needed the grace of God so God implemented it in the Garden of Eden when man sinned. The definition of grace is often said to be “unmerited favor” and that was the biblical application in the Garden. God’s grace is found in an unbroken thread throughout the bible and the final verse says, “The grace of “our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.”
D. There is much need for grace in our day. Men’s hearts failing them for fear; sin in abundance and godliness in serious decline; failure in government; failure in families; and failure in churches
1. Days are Perilous - 2 Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2. Times are Evil - Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
3. Society is Wicked - Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
4. Satan is Roaring - 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
5. Apostasy is Rampant - 2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
6. Unfaithfulness is General - Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
7. Thank God, Jesus is coming - Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
E. I am glad that God’s grace is abundant, sufficient, and readily available! We need God’s grace in these last days in order to remain encouraged and faithful to the Lord. The majority of us often fail to receive the grace of God as we complain, fear, or weep and wail our way through problems just to find out that we made it through just fine!
Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
1. There Is Grace In Our Salvation – Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Romans 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
2. There Is Grace In Our Service – Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
3. There Is Grace In Our Suffering – 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
4. There Is Grace In Our Singing – Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
5. There Is Grace In Our Speaking – Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
6. There Is Grace In Our Stability – Hebrews 13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.
7. There Is Grace In Our Surety – 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.