Temple Baptist Church - 2-16-2014
2 Timothy 2:24-3:7
A. We certainly live in the last of the last days. Once again, when you find a 2nd or 3rd, these books normally deal with the Second of Christ and the “falling away” or apostasy that ensues.
1. Generally, we separate chapter 2 and chapter 3 because of the chapter division but we need to remember that the chapter and verse divisions were added for our help and often cause confusion.
2. Chapter 3 begins with “This know also” which ties the chapters together and tells us that the verses in chapter 3 belong in the same context with those in chapter 2.
B. We have spent the last couple of weeks dealing with the attitude and reaction of God’s men to those who “oppose themselves.”
1. We live in days of self-opposition by many who sit under sound doctrinal teaching and preaching but will not heed the scriptures. These are rapidly becoming the “many” while those who adhere to the teaching and preaching become the “few.”
2. This is causing much discouragement and, too often, adverse reaction by God’s servants who preach their hearts out with little visible results.
C. The Signs of the Second Coming are on every hand.
1. One World Church in the making. We have heard over the past 30-50 years the saying, “Doctrine divides, love unifies.” The first part is biblically right: doctrine does divide and God wants it that way. Doctrine is simply “rightly dividing the word of truth.” It is not a denominational thing; it is a bible thing! Denominations normally follow the teachings and beliefs of certain men while Biblicists follow the teaching of the bible. We are not to make the bible conform to our denominational teaching; we are to conform our teaching to the word of God. I have often said, “I am a Biblicist.” Today, people “worship” together with those who do not believe or stand for doctrinal truth and the result is a pseudo-Christianity that will open the door wide for the false prophet of the end time. Just how important is doctrine?
Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Ephesians 4:11-14 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; (12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: (13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: (14) That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
1 Timothy 4:13-16 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. (14) Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. (15) Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. (16) Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (17) That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 4:1-4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; (2) Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. (3) For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (4) And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
2. One World Government in the making. That system of government will be socialism. This is not a political message but our present administration is leading America into socialism at an alarming rate. The government is socializing medicine. It is making people look to the government for their security and living. The poor get poorer (regardless of what they tell us) and the rich get richer. The middle class is being squeezed out and taxed to death. More and more people are on what our fathers called “public assistance:” welfare, food stamps, EBT (Eat Better Today) etc. We are losing our national sovereignty as we bow to the power and authority of the United Nations. We are losing our freedoms while the government spies on everything we say or do. The presidency is becoming a dictatorship where one man can change or amend law without the approval of congress by fiat! Enough of that but you get the point or you are a part of the problem!
3. One World Currency In The Making. Inflation is undermining the financial stability of the dollar and collapse, if this trend continues, is inevitable. Unprecedented printing of currency, outrageous rising of the national debt, and uncontrolled spending will eventually send our nation into a tailspin from which there will be no recovery. The currency of the future will be a cashless one. Money will be a thing of the past as most major transactions of our day are electronic or magnetic stripes in cards. The end time will be a mark in the head or hand.
4. Wickedness on every hand. Our land is permeated with baby killers! Abortion is premeditated murder. If you cause a wreck and a woman loses her unborn, it becomes a child in the eyes of law and you can be prosecuted. If a baby is cut to pieces in the womb or otherwise aborted, it becomes women’s rights and it legal. I am pro-choice but choice is before conception, not afterward. Sodomites permeate out land and what the bible condemns has become socially accepted. Sodomy is sin! God hates and condemns the sin while loving and dying for the sinner.
5. No concept of right or wrong. Right and wrong have become relative terms with no distinct definition. The bible defines these things clearly and gives us principles and laws to live by. Bible believers are mocked on every hand and Christians persecuted around the world. Today, every man does that which is right in his own eyes. There are laws on the books that are no longer enforced. Marijuana use is a good example along with sodomy as both are still against the law in most places but overlooked because of their popularity among the American people. If you think it is right, then it is right; if you think it is wrong, then it is wrong.
1. The Distinction of the Time – vs 1
a. A Day Prophesied – It is certainly no surprise!
Matthew 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
b. A Day Perilous – certainly perilous times
1. Perilous Physically – America has drastically changed over the past few decades and now the streets that we once walk unafraid are dangerous for all.
2. Perilous Nationally – The America that we once know is one that our children and grandchildren will never know. God said that He would turn all nations into hell that forget God and ours, if it does not repent, will not escape.
3. Perilous World Wide – Our world is one of unrest, war, deterioration, and fearfulness. Europe controls our money, the Middle East controls our oil, the terrorists control our airports, the socialists control our nation, and the world is in a mess of its own making.
2. The Description of the Time – vs 2-5
a. A Description of the Wickedness
1. Lovers of their own selves – Selfishness
2. Covetous - Inordinately desirous
3. Boasters - glories in or vaunts self
4. Blasphemers - one who speaks of God in impious and irreverent terms.
5. Disobedient to parents
7. Without natural affection
8. Trucebreakers – will not keep their word in things agreed upon
9. False accusers – prone to slander
10. Incontinent - Not restraining the passions or appetites, particularly the sexual appetite
11. Fierce – savage or untamed
12. Despisers of those that are good
13. Traitors – to turn upon
14. Heady – ungovernable
15. Highminded – puffed up with pride
16. Lovers of pleasure more that lovers of God (put everything ahead of Him)
b. A Description of the Worshiper
1) Having A Form Of Godliness – a semblance
a) They Name The Name – profess salvation
Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
b) They Play The Game – go to church
c) They Defame The Name – deny the power thereof - Power to Convert and Change
2) From Such Turn Away
2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
3. The Deception of the Time – vs 6-7
a. The Condition of Women – vs 6 (now don’t take this personal. God said it!)
1) Light Headed Women
a) Satan Began His Attack With Woman
b) Satan Will Conclude His Attack With Woman
2) Lustful Women – “laden with sins … led away … divers lusts”
Isaiah 4:1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.
b. The Corruption of Wisdom – vs 7-8
1) Contentious – “resist the truth”
2 Timothy 4:14-15 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.
3 John 9-11 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church. Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.
2) Corrupt – “corrupt minds”
1 Timothy 4:1-2 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3) Calloused – “reprobate”
Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
4. The Damnation of the Time – vs 9
a. Their Damnation – “proceed no further”
b. Their Followers Damnation
2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.