Temple Baptist Church - 1-5-2014
2 Timothy 2:16-18
A. Before Christmas, I spent several nights on the subject of studying God’s Word. Failing to “rightly divide the word of truth” has consequences.
B. Bro. Bob Harrington used the title “Consequences” not long ago when filling the pulpit for me. Things have consequences, either good or bad, and so does either studying or not studying the Bible. Good consequences when we study and, therefore, rightly divide the Word of Truth and bad ones when we do not.
C. The Results of failure to obey vs 15 are great! So many once good churches are not either in shambles or so worldly that our spiritual forefathers have probably “rolled over in their graves.” Few churches are both doctrinally pure and stand firm in the Old Paths wherein is the good way.
D. Our text shows a consequence of such failure: doctrinal impurity. Two men are named in verse 17 that caused doctrinal division. I would hate to have my name immortalized in such fashion! Along with Nehemiah, I want to be remembered for good.
1. There Needs To Be Recognition Of Doctrinal Impurity - vs 15
a. Recognition Comes Through The Word of The Scripture - 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
b. Recognition Comes Through The Witness of The Spirit - John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
2. There Needs To Be Realization Of Doctrinal Impurity - vs 16
a. Doctrinal Impurity Brings Sinfulness - vs 16
1) The Sin of Division - 1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
2) The Sin of Doubt - Galatians 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
3) The Sin of Defilement
a) Profane Babblings
b) Vain Babblings
b. Doctrinal Impurity Brings Confusion
1) Doctrinal Impurity Confuses Our Congregation - 1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
2) Doctrinal Impurity Confuses Our Converts - Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
3) Doctrinal Impurity Confuses Our Children - Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
c. Doctrinal Impurity Brings Destruction
2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3. There Needs To Be Removal Of Doctrinal Impurity - vs 15-16
a. Rightly Dividing Of Scriptures - vs 15
(which leads to)
b. Rightly Discerning Of False Doctrine- vs 16