Temple Baptist Church - 1-12-2014
2 Timothy 2:19
A. In verse 15, we found the importance of rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Notice the phrase “word of truth.” Once again, this Bible that I hold in my hand is not just a good book or a man-made one; it is the very Word of God and, therefore, the Word of Truth!
1. You can believe it or not believe it but the truth of this Bible has not changed.
2. You can obey it or not obey it but the truth of this Bible has not changed.
3. You can choose to ignore it but the truth of this Bible has not changed.
4. You can choose to change it but the truth of this Bible has not changed.
5. It is always RIGHT! The Authorized King James Bible is the Word of God in the English language.
B. In verses 16-18, we found the “shifting sands of human theology.” By this, I mean the continually evolving “theology” of man. Using the word “theology” in this light is actually an oxymoron. “Theology” comes from two root words meaning “God” and “the study of.” Therefore, “theology” is a rational, systematic study of God and can only finds its truth rooted in the Word of God.
1. In these verses, we find the words “profane” and “vain babblings.” “Profane” means irreverent or blasphemous. “Vain babblings” means jabbering to no avail. Empty words that come from an empty soul, spoken to an empty people.
2. In these verses, we find two men: Hymenaeus and Philetus. “Hymenaeus” means “the god of weddings:” an opponent of Christianity. “Philetus” means “to be a friend to” and comes from the root word “phileo.” Not a friend of God but a friend to men!
3. In these verses, we find anti-doctrinal teachings that are completely foreign to the Word of Truth, as men change God’s Word to fit their doctrinal teaching instead of changing their doctrinal teaching to line up with the Word of God: the final authority for faith and practice.
C. In light of the constant attacks upon the Word of God through discrediting or changing, we have the promise that “nevertheless the foundation of God standeth SURE.” We can be assured that the Bible that we hold in our hand, which is the foundation of all that we believe, standeth sure!
D. The most important part of any structure is the foundation upon which it stands. It matters not how well built or how beautifully constructed, if the foundation is flawed, the structure will not stand the test of time. Our foundations are the same. If they are not built right, that which we build will not stand.
Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
E. The seal of God’s foundation is the work of grace in the hearts and lives of His children. Salvation is an operation of God as He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. The Seal of God is that salvation works effectually in those who believe.
1. The Seal of His Great Love – “The Lord knoweth them that are his” 1 Corinthians 8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
a. God’s Great Love is a Special Love – Yes, God does love the world and sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for ALL! But those who have placed their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ become HIS children and that makes them special.
b. God’s Great Love is an Unchanging Love – God does not condone sinfulness but, as we with our children, continues to love in spite of sin. Many who believe in falling from grace never get it. I am His and He is mine!
c. God’s Great Love is an Eternal Love – As with Israel as a nation, the Lord loves us with an everlasting love. There will never be a time when His love diminishes or changes in any way. Hallelujah, what a Saviour!
2. The Seal of His Change of Life – “Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
a. He changes our Loving - Colossians 3:1-2 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. (2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
b. He changes our Longing - Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
c. Therefore, He changes our Living - 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Conclusion: The seal of God’s foundation rests in faith and salvation of His children. Salvation is a firm and immovable foundation upon which the believer securely stands. The natural man may try to change or discredit God’s Word but the truth of God’s Word is found in those who are saved!