Sunday, August 18, 2013

Thank God I Know Something!

Temple Baptist Church - 8-18-2013
 
2 Timothy 1:8-12
 
Introduction:
A. I preached a few weeks ago on not being ashamed and it is a key to the message tonight. Too many of God’s people seem to be ashamed of the things of God. I listed a few things that I am not ashamed of and then I will give the reason why in the message.
1. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Gracious Salvation.
2. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Wonderful Saviour.
3. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Local Church.
4. I Am Not Ashamed Of My Spiritual Family.
5. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Old Paths Our Fathers Trod.
6. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Inerrant, Infallible, Inspired, Perfectly Preserved Word Of God.
7. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being Different From This Present Evil World.
8. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being A Fundamental Baptist Preacher.
9. I Am Not Ashamed Of Our Missionaries.
10. I Am Not Ashamed Of The Gospel Of Christ.
11. I Am Not Ashamed Of Being A Friend Of Sinners.
B. I am not only not ashamed of these things but I also know why I am not ashamed.
1. I know what I believe! That is not what the text for tonight says but I believe that, after salvation, we need to get under the “teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you” and find out what the Word of God says. God places no importance on ignorance. Will Rogers once was quoted as saying, “All men are ignorant, just in different areas.”
2. Our text says, “I know whom I have believed.” I am not ashamed of my Lord Jesus Christ because of Who and What He is and did for each of us.
C. Now, let us look at this verse in its context: Paul was not ashamed of his suffering for Christ because his personal faith was in Christ!
1. “I” is personal! Philippians 3:9-10 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: (10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
A man was traveling through the country and stopped to ask a boy for directions; "Son, I seem to be lost. Do you know how to get to next town?" The boy replied, "Nope." "Do you know far it is to the next town?" Again he replied, "Nope." "Do you know the name of the next town? Again he answered, "Nope." "Do you know where this road goes?" Again the answer was "Nope." Finally the man said, "You don’t seem to know much do you?" The boy replied, "I know I ain’t lost." There are a lot of things that I do not know. But, I know that "I ain’t lost!" I know that I know I am saved.
I may be classified as an ignorant and unlearned man by some but what I believe comes from the Bible and does not depend upon the opinions or writings of men. There is a lot that I may not know but this one thing I do know: I know the Lord and I am not lost!
2. “Know” is positive! 1 John 2:3-5 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
The salvation that I have is a “know so” salvation. I do not think I am saved; I do not hope I am saved; I am not striving to be saved; I am saved!
3. “Whom” is privilege! Ephesians 3:18-19 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; (19) And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
To know the Potentate of the Universe; the King of kings; the Lord of lords; the Creator of all things; the Eternal Jehovah God; the sinner’s Saviour!
4. “Persuaded” is promise! 1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
Many have the misconception that they can live in such a way as to merit God’s eternal life but they are so wrong. We are all sinful at best and it took Heaven’s Best to purchase and keep us. I am glad that I am His and He is mine and it is eternally settled!
5. “He is able” is powerful! 1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, (4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, (5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
6. “Against that day” is permanent! John 10:28-30 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (29) My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. (30) I and my Father are one.
John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

No comments: