Temple Baptist Church - 8-4-2013
2 Timothy 1:8-11
A. By interpretation, Paul is writing to a young pastor concerning the structure and workings of the local church. 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus are Pastoral Epistles. In the verses that we read, Paul describes the calling and work of the pastor.
B. There are some “muddied waters” concerning the ministry that will need to be cleared up as we look at the Pastor’s call.
C. God’s call is sovereign! It is not according to the preachers past good works. It is not because he is special. God did not call Israel His people because they were special or great in numbers. He called according to His sovereign will. I do not know why God called me to preach nor why He entrusted me with a local church but He did!
D. God call is one of grace! God gives evangelists (which are the missionaries) and pastors what they do not deserve: a call into the ministry. Paul said in Ephesians 3:8, “Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.”
E. God calls men into the ministry! We are not “volunteers” for God. I have heard men say to just “volunteer” for the pastorate. I believe that the Bible teaches clearly that the Evangelist and Pastor-teacher are gifts given to the local church by God.
F. They are not better than you, smarter than you, more qualified than you, or more special than you. They are just men of God’s choosing.
1. They must be saved men! 2 Timothy 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
2. They must be men! 1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1 Timothy 2:11-12 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. (12) But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
3. They must be faithful men! 1 Timothy 1:11-12 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. (12) And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
4. They must be qualified men! 1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
5. They must be strong men! 2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
6. They must be gentle men! 2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
7. They must be gifted men! 1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
8. They must be spiritually mature men! 1 Timothy 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
9. They must be biblically correct men! 2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
10. They must be sacrificial men! Mark 10:28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.
11. They must be discerning men! Acts 20:28-31 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (29) For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. (30) Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. (31) Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
12. They are special because they are your men! Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;