Sunday, November 18, 2012
Temple Baptist Church - 11-18-2012
Psalm 103:1-2, 20-22; Psalm 145:1-4
A. This Thanksgiving Season, I have just decided to concentrate on the Lord Jesus Christ:
1. Who He Is – Thanksgiving’s Person! “Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.” What a wonderful Lord and Saviour! Do you love Him this morning? I sure do! If we have nothing else to be thankful for this week, we can thank God for who He is!
2. What He Has Done For Us and what He has done for us. Thanksgiving’s Possessions! “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.” Look around you at the condition of this world and the people in it. Hungry, hopeless, and lost without God while we sit here this morning blessed beyond measure. Saved, secured, protected, and physically blessed beyond the comprehension of this poor world. This world would give all to have just a portion of what we enjoy.
B. This morning, I want to look at Thanksgiving’s Praise! “Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word. (21) Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure. (22) Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.”
C. Yes, enjoy your family this Thanksgiving; enjoy your freedom this Thanksgiving; enjoy your health this Thanksgiving; enjoy your turkey and dressing this Thanksgiving; but remember to praise your Lord this Thanksgiving!
D. Psalm 145 is a Psalm of Praise that enumerates some things that are worth looking at this morning. I will be short because there is food on the table and I can smell it! This is one time, time wise, that the preacher is on your side!
Psalm 145:1-4 I am going to “pick and choose” a few things out of this wondrous Psalm for time’s sake because we could go on and on praising Him in these verses!
1. Praise the Lord because He allows you to have a personal relationship with Him! Psalm 145:1 “I will extol thee, my God, O king”
2. Praise the Lord because He allows you to have a permanent relationship with you! Psalm 145:1 “I will bless thy name for ever and ever”
3. Praise the Lord because of who He is! Psalm 145:3 “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.”
4. Praise the Lord because of His great power! Psalm 145:4 “One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts.”
5. Praise the Lord because of His graciousness! Psalm 145:8 “The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.”
6. Praise the Lord because of His provision! Psalm 145:15 “The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season.”
7. Praise the Lord because of His goodness! Psalm 145:9 “The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.”
8. Praise the Lord because of His Compassion! Psalm 145:14 “The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.
9. Praise the Lord because of His faithfulness! Psalm 145:18 “The LORD is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.”
10. Praise the Lord because of His commitment! Psalm 145:20-21 “The LORD preserveth all them that love him … and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.”