Sunday, November 18, 2012
Let No Man Despise Thy Youth
Temple Baptist Church - 11-18-2012
1 Timothy 4:12
A. While writing to Timothy concerning the operation and parameters of the local church, Paul spoke to him personally concerning his youth.
1. It is a very important and interesting verse that is used in youth meetings, revivals meant for the young, etc. It is a verse that can be rightly applied as such. We need young people who are too heavenly minded to be of any earthly good; young people who dare to be different; young people who are saved and strive to represent their Saviour each day; young people who want to and can make a difference in this life.
2. But, the interpretation of the context is not thus. The interpretation is to a young pastor, a grown man called of God to an important task. He is now the pastor of the Church of Ephesus! A hard place during a hard time; a worldly place with little or no gospel light; a lonely place with no other pastors or churches who are willing to serve the Lord with a pure heart fervently.
B. Tonight, I want to talk to our youth:
1. To our young people who are still in the parental home. You are important to the Lord who saved you in a day when youth is vanity and sinful.
2. To our young families who have homes with children. You are important because you are training our posterity for Christ and, when you and I are gone, they will be the salt and light of the world.
3. To our young people who are out of the parental home and on their own also. You are now the salt and light of the world and there is very little of both in our nation. You will one day marry and be parents so your training is of the utmost importance.
4. And, last but not least, to our older people. If it were not for your faithfulness, little would get done! It is not time to sit down on the stool of do nothing for us that are getting up in years. Christianity is a life work, not a work to be retired in or to be tired of.
C. Now, let’s look at the verse:
1. The Reproach of Christianity. “despise” Hebrews 11:26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
2. The Usefulness of Christianity. “thy youth” Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the gray head.
3. The Testimony of Christianity. “example” 1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
4. The Importance of Christianity. “the believers” Hebrews 10:23-25 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) (24) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: (25) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
5. The Aspects of Christianity. “word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity” 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (32) Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: (33) Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. (Talk right, walk right, love right, strive right, believe right, and live right.)